PDA

View Full Version : Baby bjorn bibs?

Ferrety4
11-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Has anyone here used the Baby Bjorn bibs? They look neat but I'm not sure if the closure is strong or if they are as nice as they seem. I wasn't sure if I should invest the money in them, because they are a bit pricy. Thanks!

mamahill
11-09-2002, 09:26 PM
I LOVE THEM! We have a bumpkins (sp?) that someone gave to us, raving it was THE bib to have. Well Ainsleigh liked to crumple it up and wipe her face with it (smearing everything everywhere!). So after a month of that, we went and bought a BB bib, and it was seriously the best thing. Those Swedes know what they're doing. The first time I put it on her, DD pulled and made faces and tried to wipe her face with it - to no avail (a testament to the strong closure). The great thing about the big "catcher" at the bottom is that I can clearly see how much water doesn't make it down her throat. Yeah, they're pricey, but they hose right off (I've heard you can even put it in the dishwasher). I would put it on my top 10 best baby purchases. HTH!

brubeck
11-10-2002, 12:57 AM
I love these bibs! I bought 2 and have been using them since my daughter was 5 months old (she'll have her second birthday in 2 weeks). They are totally waterproof, they rinse off very easily, they go into the dishwasher, and they catch everything wonderfully. Unlike the cloth-type bibs with 'pockets' the BB trough stays open (because it is semi-rigid) so the child doesn't lose food in there. When my daughter was learning to finger feed it was great because anything she dropped she would look down there and pick up. When she was going through the 'if I don't like it I will spit it out' phase it prevented mess on her clothes. Now that she is learning to drinking from a real cup it catches the dribbles from her mouth and chin.

I don't think they are that pricey when you compare how much it would cost to buy enough of the laundry-machine washing bibs.
(3 meals a day with laundry done twice a week equals at least 9 or 10 bibs).

The only problem I ever had with these bibs is that it took about a week or so to learn how to put them on properly. I thought the large one was too small and that I was hurting my daughter's neck. You have to lift the chin high until you get the hang of it, because it is meant to go around the NECK only. If you think it is too small and you are hurting your child's neck, stop and try again.

Ferrety4
11-10-2002, 12:11 PM
Wow, thank you both! I'm going to buy them, then. They're hard to find around here. I see that Drugstore.com has the blue one (that's what I want) but it's out of stock. I'm going to order it as soon as it's back in. Thanks!

brubeck
11-10-2002, 02:24 PM
I believe that BRU has them in their stores now, and I have found them at various other online places. Try a search on Yahoo Shopping.

trumansmom
11-10-2002, 03:50 PM
I love them too! The only thing I would recommend is getting a darker colered one,like a blue or a red. Our red one looks great 6 months later, but the white one is kind of stained and icky looking.

Just a suggestion!

Momof3Labs
11-10-2002, 07:37 PM
www.babycatalog.com also carries them!

suzska
11-10-2002, 07:58 PM
Just a note--I seem to remember reading the package for the Baby Bjorn ones and it said NOT to put them in the dishwasher. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought I read, and so I didn't buy any.

I do have two MAWS bibs that are similar. Now I can't imagine using anything else. The scoop is great! And they wipe right off. After a few uses I put them in the dishwasher. Definitely worth the investment, IMO.

Of course now Pampers has come out with the Bibsters disposable with the pocket. Wish they had these last year when we went on vacation. I still have a box or so of the ones without the pocket left from then. I'm not sure what I'll use this time around for vacation since the MAWS ones don't roll-up as easily as some of the other plastic ones. But I'm not sure if I want to buy more Bibsters right now.

brubeck
11-10-2002, 09:27 PM
The Bibsters are great for eating out and travelling, but they have a 'floppy pocket' which tends to close at times so they are not as good as the semi-rigid BB bib. This from a Mom who has used both.

I had no idea you couldn't put the BB bibs in the dishwasher. I have been doing so at least once a week for almost 19 months with no problems. I put them on the top rack with all the other plastic stuff (like cups and the nipple basket, etc.).

trumansmom
11-12-2002, 10:18 AM
I followed directions for several months and didn't put my BB bibs in the dishwasher and I think that's why the white one looks so gross. We've been using the dishwasher for a couple of months now, and there hasn't been a problem yet.

And for travelling, we use Dex bibs. ( I think that's what they are called). They are made out of a thick oilcloth like material, and they have a pocket you sort of snap together. WHen you unsnap the pocket, they lie flat and roll up really well. THey are thick enough that Truman doesn't crumple them up like he usually does Bibsters or cloth bibs. I found them at a local baby shop here, but I've also seen them online at www.kidsurplus.com for slightly less.

Jeanne