PDA

View Full Version : My Brest Friend Pillow

stillplayswithbarbies
12-07-2002, 01:57 PM
I have been looking at these pillows, but I haven't had a chance to try one on yet. Does anyone have one? What do you think?

One thing that I read is that if you get used to nursing with this pillow, it will be hard to do it out of the house when you don't have the pillow. I am thinking it will be good at first for when baby can't hold it's head up yet, but I might not need it later on.

What does everyone think?

Also, I see it on eBay cheap. Is there a newer version that is better or are the ones on eBay the same as the ones in the stores today?

...Karen
EDD March 21

egoldber
12-07-2002, 02:54 PM
I had this pillow and really liked it. I did not necessarily need it after awhile, but I used it whenever I was home. (And I actually did take it on a few car trips.) I liked it better than the Boppy because it had the velcro to keep it on.

If it is cheaper on Ebay, then it sounds like a good deal. I haven't heard of a new one, but you may want to check around.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
12-07-2002, 03:04 PM
I love mine! It's much easier to use than the Boppy. I think that nursing without a pillow is hard at first no matter which pillow you use - but you quickly figure it out!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

gour0
12-07-2002, 05:04 PM
I bought mine on Ebay. The only thing I would caution you on is maybe not to go for a used one. I did and it turned out to be in worse shape than described. Other than that, it is the same pillow. In fact, it is also marketed under the name of Lansinoh at a much cheaper price. Available for 24.99 at Baby Universe as opposed to 39.99 to get the one that says My Brest Friend on it. I spoke to the company and they verified that it is the exact same pillow.

Here's a link where it is $18.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/breastfeeding-needs/nurpilmybesf.html

Eilly
12-08-2002, 10:57 AM
I had a c-section and actually found it uncomfortable to use. Not because it hurt the wound but because my abdomen seemed sort of big and floppy and it didn't fit well round me.

Also, if you use it for night feeds beware the noisy velcro -- can wake baby up when you try and take it off.

I only used it a couple of times. I am however thinking about giving it a go again as my abdomen is in better shape and my three month old son is pretty heavy now, my arm gets sore holding him up during his mammoth feeds.

Oh, one more thing about the My Brest Friend pillow. It is good if you want to read a book at the same time. Can prop book as well as baby on it.

egoldber
12-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Curious. I also had a C section and found this pillow to be very helpful for nursing while my incision healed. I guess it just shows that it pays to try different things. What works for one, may not work for another.

HTH,

corky
12-09-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi

I'm a big fan of this pillow although the velcro is a pain since it can wake the baby.I had problems with the baby's latch and this pillow helped keep him aligned so that his latch would get better.It is also like another pair of hands since I can walk around the house and do other things (like get on the internet).I like it much better than the boppy like pillow since the boppy was too soft and the baby would roll into me rather than lie next to me.

You may find that you do fine without one but I ended up finding that I needed it after a few weeks and then I had to wait for it to arrive.I ordered mine from mothering with ease(see website in another post) and it arrived quickly.I almost ordered it from babyuniverse but to get it shipped express to canada would have cost me another $100!!!

corky

Catherine226
12-12-2002, 05:26 PM
I also found it was good for "hands free" nursing. I would trim my son's fingernails while he was busy eating.

I think it's so cute how my son squeals and waves his arms when I put it on before I feed him.

corrie
12-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know if the pillow at the Yahoo link is actually the same as the my BREST friend? I ask because I noticed it's called the my BEST friend pillow on the yahoo site. I realize it looks the same, but this subtle difference in the name got me wondering if it's a knockoff.

-Corrie

Edited for spelling

egoldber
12-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Well, it looks identical. It is probably a misspelling, which is pretty common.

HTH,

phirey
12-26-2002, 12:54 PM
Prior to her birth, I was adamant that I would breast feed until my baby was a year old. But after a short stay in the NICU and coming home with newborn jaundice, she had latching issues. By the time of her one-week appointment, I was ready to either give up or at least just pump and bottle-feed her. I'm lucky that my pediatrician has a lactation consultant on staff who does all newborn checkups. She "un-did" all the damage from the bad advice I'd gotten in the hospital. I had been using the Boppy from birth, and her first piece of advice was to dump the Boppy and get a My Breast Friend.

Margot is now 6 weeks old and I couldn't live without it. It holds her in place, acts as a second pair of hands, and even lets you move around (a little bit) while you're nursing, since it stays attached. She had a diaper blowout during a feeding recently, so I tossed the cover in the wash -- something you can't do with most Boppys. I had to use the Boppy to feed her while the cover dried -- it was a disaster! The Boppy kept slipping out from under her, then she'd roll out of position, unlatch and SCREAM!!!!

I have three frends who are pregnant and had registered for the Boppy. I got all of them My Breast Friends instead.

Good luck. Despite the good fortune of finding this pillow, no one ever told me how frustrating the first few weeks of breastfeeding can be. Stick with it and it does get easier. Now that we're finally in a breastfeeding "groove," I can tell you that not giving up is totally worth it! And definitely get a My Breast Friend!

Peggy
First-time Mommy to Margot, 11/15/02

marit
12-28-2002, 09:10 AM
It is not a misspelling. It is an imitation called "my best friend". I got it and the name "my best friend" is written on the pillow itself. Saying all that, it does look EXACTLY the same, so it's good enough for me! Besides if you look few replies back, gour0 said she spoke with the company and they said it is the same.

Marit