PDA

View Full Version : can anyone recommend good books for starting solids?

spu
12-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Our barnes + noble isn't that well stocked in the baby feeding dept. so I'm looking for good books on starting solids. I'd like to make my own baby foods, and I'm not sure when to start, or which kinds of foods to start with. My ped. gave me a pretty routine outline but I want to read up more to see what others recommend.

Thanks for any suggestions!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

egoldber
12-18-2002, 01:57 PM
I've said it before, but I LOVE Ellyn Satter's "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense". This is a wonderful book full of facts and good advice about how to get your child to develop healthy eating habits for a lifetime.

HTH,

LisaS
12-18-2002, 03:40 PM
"First Meals" by Annabel Karmel is great
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789441772/qid=1040239342/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-8436677-2025709

We started on this book and "Superfoods"/"Healthy Baby Mealplanner" -both of which are fantastic. That is what my pediatrician reccommended starting DD on solids with. In London, it is considered the "bible" of what to feed your baby for moms who want to make their own baby food. Her recipes are easy to make and freeze (buy lots of ice cube trays - make big batches, pour them in and then you have portions. Initially, a meal will be 1 cube, but slowly you will work your way up to 4/5 cubes and then into whole portions/finger foods. Her books introduce a wide variety of foods and tastes and I have yet to find a recipe in either book that my DD, 11 months (we started her on solids with this book at 5 months), doesn't like.

suribear
12-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is the one I got (and liked).

check out reviews on amazon.com

Kris

caroliner
12-18-2002, 06:09 PM
I have both the Ellyn Satter and the Super Baby Food books and really like both. The Satter book is not a recipe book, but has some great advice about feeding. Super Baby Food has some advice but mainly recipes. I think the 2 books work nicely together. If you can only get one, I would say Super Baby Food since you are looking to make your own food. I am not much of a whiz in the kitchen, but have had a lot of fun making food for my baby. It is sooooo easy and gives me a good excuse to eat my vegetables! Have fun!