PDA

View Full Version : Boppy - washable? Or should I get a slipcover?

jubilee
01-07-2003, 12:25 AM
I have a Boppy and plan to use it for breastfeeding when the baby comes. I was wondering if it's washable? I'm sure it's bound to be spit-up on. I've seen they offer slipcovers, should I get one... and why? Is it just a marketing scheme to make people buy more, or would the cover be helpful somehow? Also, how long will a Boppy last? And how long do you need it- until done breastfeeding or a certain age? Thanks for any help,

joodyjr
01-07-2003, 12:28 AM
I'd recommend a cover. I don't know if you can wash the pillow itself or not. You should get alot of use even after nursing. Bobby makes a great support pillow for baby when learning to sit up. Or prop baby on for tummy time. You yourself can also use it if you like to read in bed! Makes a good "desk".

sparkeze1
01-07-2003, 02:52 AM
I got a used Boppy from my SIL and I machine washed it and it worked out great! Even if you get a slipcover it will probably seep through into the pillow so you may just wash both then.

Since my Boppy was used, it was a little flat. Or maybe new ones are like that too...I'm not sure. What I do know was that I definitely needed more than one pillow! I had the Boppy on my lap with a couch cushion next to me under one end of the Boppy, or I had to sit cross-legged to raise one end. I sometimes wondered if it was really designed for BF. If it were, shouldn't the ends be higher than the middle so the baby's head can be raised up a little? Who knows.

Anyways, I stopped using my Boppy for BF when DS was around 4-5 months. As they get bigger you no longer need to prop them up that much, they can just lay on your lap. I did also use it a few times when DS was learning to sit, but he wasn't a big sitter. He wanted to scoot around much more so it didn't get used much in that way. BUT, for the first 3 months, DS wouldn't sleep unless he was held. I couldn't even lay down to nap with him! So I used it a lot sitting on the couch while he was napping so I could have at least one hand free to read or flip through channels or eat...I did a lot of things sitting on the couch back then!!

CherylT
01-07-2003, 04:17 PM
I'm using my Boppy for baby #2 and it has flattened out a bit. I have washed it (only once so far though) and it was no problem at all, so I don't think the cover is necessary - as the other poster said, it'd probably leak through onto the pillow anyway. To be honest, I've never really had a problem with the pillow getting dirty. I only washed it prior to Alec's birth because my daughter had been playing with it and I figured it was probably a bit dusty! I too prop up the Boppy a bit depending on where I'm sitting (I think this has to do with what type chair you sit in, your body proportions, etc.). HTH

Cheryl (aka CT)
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

Melanie
01-14-2003, 01:10 AM
I've washed mine a couple of times without any problems. I no longer *need* it to BF (14 months), but we still use it sometimes. I think I truly NEEDED it for at least 6 months, but I can't recall now.

edited to add: Yes, at first I think I need like 4 pillows (two in a V-shape on my lap, two behind me back) to latch properly, but the Boppy came into use soon after.

Mommy to Jonah

mama2be
01-14-2003, 12:43 PM
I washed mine...it was second hand (but looked as new as can be)...no problems...

August Mom
01-24-2003, 03:27 PM
At the beginning, I simply put a burp cloth between the baby's head and the Boppy to catch any leaks. It worked great.