PDA

View Full Version : When to buy nursing bras?

LucyMeg
01-12-2003, 04:29 PM
I am 33 weeks now, and have not had to buy any new bras thus far. However, I am wondering at what point I should actually purchase some nursing bras. I've heard that you need some from the beginning, but I've also heard to wait until you "settle" into a size after the milk comes in. It seems to me that it would be handy to have at least one nursing bra to start with, but I don't want to spend a lot of money, only to outgrow the bra immediately. I am currently quite small (36A), so have no clue what to buy. Any suggesitons? I don't want to have to go bra shopping the day I leave the hospital!

Momof3Labs
01-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Since you are small, I would recommend ordering a Bravado or two, and starting with those. You definitely want at least two right off the bat!

A LC may also be able to help you - I went to see a local one and she fitted me with a couple of bras when I was about 34w along. One still fits me well and one doesn't feel right (digs into my armpits).

Good luck!

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

LucyMeg
01-12-2003, 05:08 PM
Where can you find Bravado bras? I'd rather try one on than buy online, if that's possible.

mcmorfit
01-12-2003, 05:26 PM
I know that I found some at a locally owned maternity store. I ended up ordering my Bravado online through nestmom.com ($29 plus free shipping). The first bra I ordered was too small, so I called and they gave me some good advice about size. I'm at 34 weeks, so I'm about to put in another order for some more.

HTH

Ellen

Momof3Labs
01-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Our hospital's lactation consultant carries Bravado bras - that's where I'd start. Or with small, specialty maternity/nursing stores. There are also lots of online retailers (like www.knoxbreastfeeding.com) that sell them and offer free shipping and easy returns, if you can't find them locally!

spu
01-12-2003, 07:34 PM
If you call bravado (or check their website www.bravadodesigns.com) they can advise you on sizes, and even tell you where stores are in your area. I ordered mine from motherwear.com because they have really good service and allow returns, even on bras. The size I bought from them fit fine so I didn't need to return.

I have 4 bravados in 3 different sizes. The smallest one I rarely wear. (It fit before the babies arrived.) The sizes run pretty much as they say on their website and they do allow for overlap which is really helpful, esp. in the first few weeks.

Definitely check with the hospital LCs for bra recommendations. They may have a better idea of what might be most comfortable for you.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else