PDA

View Full Version : Pumping

Eilly
01-24-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi,

I've recently started pumping. I'm doing it once a day in the morning right after my DS's (five months) early feed. Am using a Lactina. Trouble is I don't seem to get much milk at each pumping -- am averaging 2 - 3oz per pumping. I've only been doing it for about five days. Is this normal? It seems like a lot of effort for little return. It's not an urgent problem as I am not returning to work but I would like to have a supply of milk for mixing with cereal/food etc. DS has consistently refused to take the bottle.

Also my nipples hurt quite a bit since I started pumping. Anyone else experience this?

shall85296
01-24-2003, 11:38 PM
I have found that pumping first thing in the morning has worked the best for me as well. DS sleeps through the night, so both sides get a great rest in between, and then in the a.m. they are ready to produce. But - I feed him on one side at a time, this method seems to work great - especially if you want to pump. So I feed him in the a.m. on the right, and pump on the left, any other time of day I've tried produced only 2 - 3 ozs. It took a while to get up to about 6 oz., but stick with it, and I bet you'll be producing enough in no time.

Momof3Labs
01-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Your body has adjusted so well to your DS's demand (common at 5 months) that there isn't a lot left over after he eats. As you continue to pump, your body will register the increased demand and produce more. I would just continue to do what you are doing, and you will see results!

I'm not familiar with the Lactina so can't help you with the nipples question.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02

Rachels
01-25-2003, 11:10 AM
My nipples get sore pumping, too. You might try the Ameda flexishields, which work with Medela pumps. They're softer. Also, try turning down the vaccuum strength a little.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sparkeze
01-29-2003, 03:13 AM
With the Lactina you should probably turn the suction to the lowest level and still get plenty of milk. Make sure you're positioning your nipples correctly, I found that if it hurt, I could make a couple adjustments and it was much better. When I was using the Lactina I was pumping for 10 minutes after every feeding (during the first week) and it still took me about 2-3 days to pump more than 2 oz out. Since you're only pumping once a day, it may take up to 1-2 weeks for your body to get good at pumping. It takes some gettting used to to produce milk to a pump as opposed to a baby.

parkersmama
01-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Another thing that I'm not sure was mentioned by anyone else is that if you're pumping immediately after a feeding, your breasts are probably mostly empty. I'd drink some water, relax a little, and pump after maybe an hour or so. Your body will quickly get used to the extra feeding and start producing more milk at that time. But honestly, it's not uncommon to only get 3oz at a pumping session. Especially when you're not used to it or you've just fed your baby. If you're not needing to stock a huge amount for going back to work or something, it shouldn't be a problem. Just freeze the milk in small quantities and use it when you need it for a bottle.

As far as the nipple soreness, you've had some good suggestions. I definitely think turning down the suction would help and also making sure that everything is adjusted properly. I found that I would get sore if my nipple was even slightly off center in the pumping funnel.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003