PDA

View Full Version : solids

Eilly
01-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi,

I started feeding my five month old rice cereal two weeks ago and he loves it. I want to start introducing some vegetables now. My question is how to prepare them fresh. In most books they talk about mashing and straining fruit and vegetables. Does this mean that you have to put them through a strainer? It seems like a lot of effort. Could you puree them in a blender instead? If so what is a good blender to use (I currently don't have one).

Also what does anyone think about using canned foods as opposed to making your own?

Thanks

egoldber
01-26-2003, 02:47 PM
If you have a mini-chopper, you can use that. Just be careful not overdo it, because it can happen in a second. A lot of people buy a cheap baby food grinder/mill from BRU and use that. (I already had a mini-chopper.) I would think that you wouldn't want to make large enough batches to need a blender.

I use canned green beans, peas and carrots all the time. I also use canned peaches and pears when they are not in season. Other than that, I made them myself. It is very easy to just microwave and mash up potato, sweet potato, and various types of squash. I used to feed Sarah a lot of avocado in the beginning (which she LOVED). Just mash it with a fork and thin with formula or breastmilk to the desired consistency. Bananas and most fruits can just be mashed with a fork or put through a food mill or chopper. Applesauce can be served as is (the adult variety, just make sure you buy unsweetened). Foods like broccoli and cauliflower just steam really well and then use a food grinder or chopper.

With carrots, beets and spinach you need to be concerned about nitrates. Baby foods from these veggies are screened for nitrate concentration. When she was smaller, I just made sure she didn't eat a whole lot of them at one time and alternated with other veggies.

I found it most convenient when introducinig a new food to use jar baby food/jar foods. Once I introduced and was sure there were no allergies, then I switched to fresh/canned and "made" my own.

HTH,

spu
01-26-2003, 04:08 PM
I just started solids for my 6 month babies yesterday for the first time. We went with an avocado. It got great reviews from just about all sources as a good first food for babies around the 6 month mark. I scooped out a little, mixed it with a little e.b.m. and spoon-fed it to them. They've had it twice. Yesterday, they weren't sure what to do with this new stuff in their mouths, but today they actually ate quite a bit! so far, no reactions.

We're going to try a sweet potato next week and then add a banana. After that, we'll probably do pears or peaches. By that time, they'll be over 7 months old, so the soupy mashed issue shouldn't be too much of a problem.

We have a blender and a food processor, and didn't need them with the avocado. I imagine the sweet potato and banana won't need them either. For other veggies and fruits, I'll probably steam them and then use my food processor.

Super Baby Foods is a great book. I haven't read it all yet, but it has some great info on making and storing baby foods, and what foods to give when, and how to prepare them for the different ages. It even gives info on how to select foods in the produce dept. too.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

newbelly2002
01-26-2003, 05:53 PM
We just started solids at the beginning of the month. I'm finding it fascinating to see what foods are popular here vs. in the States. We're buying all of our jar foods from a "reformhaus" (basically a natural food store) because the quality is more pure and they have a larger single variety selection as oppose to mixes. Beyond the standard carrots and bananas, we've been seeing the following: pumpkin, parsnips, and kohlrabi(???). The parsnips taste a lot like sweet potatoes, which I don't think exist here. They seem to be big into the root vegetables and only suggest the fruits at a later stage, say around 7-9 months. Perhaps you could always try those in the States as well (although kohlrabi seems to be giving Dante a lot of gas--watch out).

To date Dante's favorite is carrots, followed up closely by parsnips. He has started a new thing where he coughs when he sees something he wants (mobile, toy, etc). We pull out the jar of food and he coughs to beat the band, usually turning red in the face by the end. Of course, he does the same thing when I take my shirt off. . .

I know that at 6 months babies are still getting most of their nutrition from breastmilk/formula. We only added a lunch time meal a few days ago. When do you move to three meals a day?

Paula
Mom to Dante 8/1/02

newbelly2002
01-27-2003, 12:07 PM
One more question. When did people start with the "mixes" as oppose to the single variety items? I'm afraid we've run through all of them (there are only about 5 total), but I'm just so concerned about allergies. Any suggestions for round 2 foods?

Paula
Mom to Dante 8.1.02

spu
01-27-2003, 02:18 PM
We're at 6 months and a week and we just started our first meal (an avocado). I read that it's time to add a second meal when the first meal equals about 1/4 cup of food. Most people tell me to trust your gut. With breastfeeding, I don't want to do too much too soon or I'll end up with the problem, so we're taking it slowly.

As far as mixed foods, my ped. suggested going through the single grains, and then go right to the mixed grain cereals. He was also expecting us to start at 4 months old. We waited until 6 months, so the concern isn't as big of a deal now. So instead of the cereals, we went right to the avocado.

I've read great things about root vegetables too. The exciting thing about making your own baby food is all the new foods we get to try too! I've never eaten a rutabega (sp??) or kohl rabi (sp?) so it will be fun for all of us to try! and they're supposed to be so nutritious. I'm looking forward to slipping some of these items into my DH's diet without him knowing! (shh!) :)

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

parkersmama
01-28-2003, 12:41 PM
I'd be careful about the mixes. A lot of the jarred mixes have ingredients that may be allergenic and that you haven't yet introduced. Read the labels when in doubt! I made my own babyfood and then created my own mixes depending on what I thought sounded good together. I never used canned (in aluminum cans) foods until my kids were out of the baby stage. I used either fresh or frozen (for example frozen peas are a lot easier than fresh!). I used the food processor attachment to my blender and froze the food in ice cube trays then transferred to ziplocs to be kept in the freezer. Very easy and nice to not have to peel/cook something every time you need to make a meal for baby.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003