PDA

View Full Version : huggies residue - looking for opinions

naomi01
02-07-2003, 07:35 PM
We have had a lot of leaks and blowouts lately, particularly at night. W were using Pampers Swaddlers, tried changing sizes, didn't work, tried Baby dry, no luck, did well with White Cloud for a couple of weeks then these leaked too (just when I bought 2 new packs!). As a last resort I tried Huggies Ultra Trim. I had avoided them because of the residue mentioned on this site. So far only the tiniest hint of a leak , but said gel residue is definitely there on DS's skin. Is the same problem there with Huggies Supreme? Has anyone noticed irritation from the gel or is this bothering me more than him? Opinions anyone?

Also, I saw the Nature boy and girl diapers mentioned on this site.. they cost more than twice what everything else does!

Karenn
02-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi,
We usually use huggies and I have seen the gel residue on DS, but it seems to vary in intensity. Some days it seems to be everywhere, and other days, nothing! He's never had any sort of diaper rash though, so I'm not too concerned. I don't remember any difference when we've used Huggies Supreme, but honestly, I didn't pay a lot of attention. Pampers and Luvs make me sneeze, and every thing else I've tried leaks, so I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that he'll be a Huggies boy- complete with gel residue.

todzwife
02-07-2003, 11:55 PM
I have only noticed the gel blobs when I change the boys in the morning right after they wake up from a 12 hour sleep or when they have taken a long nap and haven't been changed for a few hours. Otherwise, there hasn't been a problem or a residue. Hope this helps. :)

naomi01
02-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Unfortunately this weekend the huggies ultratrim started to leak too.... I think I am going to try Huggies Supreme or Luvs and hope for a better fit... too much laundry to just give up entirely!

egoldber
02-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Luvs tend to fit very similarly to Pampers Baby Dry. They are virtually identical as far as I can tell, except that the outer cover on Luvs is not quite as nice.

If all this fails, you may want to consider using cloth diapers. With cloth it is possible to get a diaper that really provides a great fit for your baby, that doesn't leak and is chemical free. And it is REALLY not that much trouble. In fact in some ways it is more convenient.

HTH,

myllam
02-10-2003, 01:30 AM
We switched to huggies overnites for bedtime after our DS has some nights of leaking and gel problems with the regular huggies. The overnites seem to work well. We try to catch them on sale and use coupons to make them more reasonably priced. May be worth a try if the others do not work out for you.

khakismom
02-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Definitely agree with the above poster--we've used Huggies Overnites ever since DD could fit in them (they start at size 3--no size 1 or 2), and we've had maybe 3 blowouts in over a year and a half of use. Before she could fit into the overnites, I would put the plastic pants that normally would cover a cloth diaper on my DD at nite (over her normal Pamper Baby Dry diaper). Those worked great too and prevented lots of leaks.

I would recommend trying the Huggies Overnites, or the plastic diaper covers over his nighttime diaper. HTH--Good luck!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
#2 EDD 6/12/03--it's a girl

naomi01
02-10-2003, 02:39 PM
hmmm.... he's probably about 13 1/2 pounds now, maybe I'll try an overnite anyway (he's 24 inches long). Thanks for the tips!

sarsah
02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Try going up a size in the Huggies. We have used Huggies pretty much exclusively for DS since he was born (now 2 1/2 and starting to potty train). I only see the gel residue when his diaper is very full (like first thing in the morning, etc.).

Whenever we started seeing a lot of leaks, I always moved up a size in the Huggies and that helped. Also, Huggies seem to run smaller than Pampers.

Sarah....

parkersmama
02-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Are the leaks and blowouts only at night? Then the Huggies Overnights might help. If they are happening all the time, I've always found the solution to be going up to the next size. If you like Pampers, Huggies, or whatever, just try jumping to the next size in them. They will possibly be a little big at first but they'll definitely help with the containment issues! That being said, reading all the posts here has convinced my that I need to try cloth diapers so I'm trying to lay in a stock of them for the baby that I'm expecting. I'm really looking forward to trying something different!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003