PDA

View Full Version : Foods, beverages, and medications to avoid while nursing?

etwahl
02-15-2003, 01:59 PM
I'm wondering what still needs to avoided while nursing? The obvious is alcohol, but what other things? I'm not a coffee drinker, but I have been avoiding diet coke during the pregnancy because of the artificial sweetener and caffeine.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

KathyO
02-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Well, I basically avoided everything during nursing that I avoided in pregnancy, although that's not really based on any concrete research... just mostly in the interests of keeping things simple. I did take a couple of Tylenol to ease episiotomy discomfort, and the stool softeners the hospital provided, and not a whole lot else. Caffeine in moderation shouldn't be a huge problem, but keep intake low since (a) you don't want ANYTHING to interfere with your baby's sleep! and (b) in a large enough dose, it can prevent babe (and you) from getting the benefit of the calcium you take in in your diet.

If you do run up against some kind of health problem, you'll find that your doctor can prescribe from a broader range of drugs, so in that sense, the restrictions do ease quite a bit.

Oh, and inevitably, baby will have some unexplained crying jags in the early weeks, and inevitably, you will be SURE it's because of something you ate!! In some cases, this link does exist, but in many, it doesn't. I went on a one-and-a-half-week diet a lot like Rachel's, avoiding all the major potential irritants: dairy, wheat, eggs, shellfish, gas-producing vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans, lentils, etc.), alliums (garlic, onions) and spicy foods in general. It made not a whit of difference... so I went back to my customary diet. And the crying jags stopped promptly at 3 months, the way everyone said it would. If you're in this position, I suggest this approach - it'll ease your mind about whether your diet is to blame, and you can then get on with things!

On with the countdown!!

Cheers,

KathyO

Momof3Labs
02-15-2003, 02:51 PM
Actually, I've been told that alcohol in moderation is fine - like, if you have a glass of wine and nurse a couple of hours later, it isn't a problem. I also avoided Diet Coke during pregnancy but now have one once or twice a week with no problems.

Personally, I still watch my meat to make sure it is cooked thoroughly and avoid sushi and unpasteurized cheeses, but I don't know if you have to.

I try not to go overboard on onions or spicy food because I notice that Colin gets a little more gassy, but again, these foods have been fine in moderation.

And I second what Kathy said - around week 2 or 3, you will be certain that something you ate is making your baby scream but chances are really good that is not the case! I went through this also - but now I don't really avoid anything (except as noted above) and we do just fine. Colin is still exclusively bf'd at 4.5 months.

On medications - there is so much out there that it is better to call your doctor before taking something. There isn't a nice, neat list of what to avoid - or a nice, neat list of what is safe! (A good rule of thumb, though, is that if it was safe during pg, it is safe while bf'ing.)

etwahl
02-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Really, no sushi? I thought that was totally safe while nursing. It's one of the things I wanted to have first!! I definitely get mixed messages. I read some places where all foods are good to go, but it's not consistent. Sigh :(

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

egoldber
02-15-2003, 03:18 PM
LOL! The first meal I ate out after coming home was sushi :) .

For medications, it is best to ask your ped or a lactation consultant. All the basic medications like Tylenol, aspirin, Advil, etc. are fine. Also, since I had a C-section, I took Percocet for a week after coming home and occasionally for a week or two more. I know Percocet didn't agree with you, but many pain meds are fine to take if you need them. In fact, it is BETTER if you are nursing to take your meds, since that way you feel better and are more likely to feel up to nursing.

As far as foods to avoid that will upset the baby, it just depends on your baby. I ate and drank everything: alcohol (in moderation), caffeine (2 cups coffee in the morning), chocolate, tomatoes, garlic, broccoli, spicy foods, etc. None of it affected Sarah. So it really does just depend and you will have to wait and see. So I wouldn't go too crazy over this pre-baby.

Also, the method of transfer of substances to baby is VERY different with breastmilk than when the baby is sharing your blood through the placenta. Many things that are potentially very dangerous to take when pregnant, are just fine to eat/drink/take when nursing.

HTH,

August Mom
02-15-2003, 03:19 PM
My understanding is that sushi, lunchmeat and soft cheeses are fine while breastfeeding. They are restricted during pregnancy due to the risk of listeria and the nasty effects it can have on the fetus. I specifically asked a LC about this because I was dying for a turkey sandwich. LOL She said it was fine.

etwahl
02-15-2003, 04:29 PM
VERY happy to hear this. I have been avoiding so many of my favorite things...just in case (such as lunch meat) and literally can't wait to start diving into those turkey sandwiches and sushi again. I might have to have my friends bring these to the hospital for me :)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

Rachels
02-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Yep, unless your baby is food-sensitive, you can eat WAY more stuff while breastfeeding than you can when you're pregnant. Even if you do an elimination diet to check for allergies, a few days will tell you on most things. The exception is dairy-- it can take a full two weeks for milk proteins to clear a baby's system, so you really can't draw conclusions before then. But I would assume that most things are fine. If you have a gassy babe, avoid gassy foods, but that's easy to do.

As for alcohol, um, I've found it, um, a little beneficial at times. Dark beer is great for stimulating milk supply. My midwife and LC actually recommended it when Abby was going through a growth spurt early on. And a well-timed glass of wine can help calm a wired newborn. Not that I drank like a fish or anything, but a little bit here and there isn't going to hurt either of you.

The Sears book on breastfeeding is my favorite resource for things like foods, medicines, etc. while nursing, not to mention just all the practical nursing help. I've opened it again and again and again. So that's one to buy, I think.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

phirey
02-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Does anybody know about honey? I know the baby can't have it, but I haven't been able to find any medical resource to tell me if I can have honey while breastfeeding. My pediatrician's nurse says "no," but I can't figure out why.

P

Rachels
02-15-2003, 08:24 PM
It's fine for you to have honey. You just can't give it directly to a baby. Here's a link to a wonderful site with lots of breastfeeding info (this is for the discussion on honey specifically):

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom-foods.html#honey

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
02-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Sorry if I'm repeating what anyone said (don't have time to read) but anytime I need to take anything (either OTC or prescription) I call the lactation consultants at my hospital and check with them. They have a book by Richard (?) Hale that rates the safety of drugs and breastfeeding.

Surprisingly, many drugs can be taken while b'feeding. I take a pretty strong drug for a neurological problem. I had to stop taking it during pregnancy since it can cause birth defects but it is fine to take while nursing since it passes through the milk in insignificant amounts, and even a preemie can metabolize it. Of course, when Thomas was first born, I was a nervous wreck about it but my neurologist, lactation consultant and pediatrician all assured me that it was perfectly safe.

mama2be
02-16-2003, 01:53 AM
I had never heard the lunch meat thing...I have lived off of kaiser rolls, dijon mustard, turkey sandwich lunch meat with provolone cheese. It has been one of my largest cravings second to my fruits. and at the beginning of my pregnancy I had to have ham sandwiches on cheap ol' wonder bread with mayo...had to be ham...had to be wonder bread (?????) and had to be mayo (my sandwiches resembled something a 5 year old would eat...but that is exactly what my body was asking for. Yikes I had never heard that.

I have to say the thought of giving up sushi makes me cry...I love it!!!!

parkersmama
02-16-2003, 11:13 AM
I've never seen any advice that says that you have to give up the listeria causing foods (soft cheese, deli meat, etc) or other pregnancy danger foods (fish, sushi) while breastfeeding. Mostly they suggest limiting alcohol & caffiene. I drank (and am drinking) caffiene basically once a day during pregnancy and continued that during breastfeeding. Another good reason to avoid too much caffiene is that it can affect your breastmilk production because it is a diurectic. On days where you have more caffiene, try to offset it by drinking more water, too. As far as alcohol, most advice says to drink only in moderation. I did that with both by boys and never had a problem (I didn't drink a drop during pregnancy though even though the doctor said a little wouldn't hurt). I knew that I would nurse for quite a while (21 months with each of them) and totally giving up alcohol for that long just didn't seem feasible! Alcohol DOES pass through breastmilk in limited quantities, though, so don't over do it. One thing to remember about breastfeeding that is different than when you are pregnant is that in pregnancy the baby is sharing your bloodsupply so anything you eat, drink, take, etc. may be shared with the baby. In breastfeeding, you are only sharing the milk. Not everything passes through it and breastmilk also replenishes itself after every nursing. If you've had something you think is questionable, you can always feed your baby previously expressed milk and then pump & dump for that feeding. That way nothing gets passed on to baby.

In Dr. Sears' "The Baby Book" there is a pretty comprehensive list of drugs that he gives either a green light, yellow light, or red light during breastfeeding. This gives you a good guideline to go by for OTC drugs that you might need to take. As far as other medications, it's always a good idea to remind your doctor that you are breastfeeding and ask about the safety of what's being prescribed. I'll go ahead and warn you that many doctors have no real clue when it comes to the safety of different medications during breastfeeding. Also, LCs are a good resource but they often don't have the medical expertise to really give you the advice you need. Also, I think they have a tendancy to be a little extreme (putting mom's health at risk because of the ever-so-slight chance that it might pass through the milk). I think your best bet when you are getting conflicting information is to call your local poison control or drug emergency center. My father has a PhD in pharmacology and the school where he teaches runs a DEC. They are always happy to look up any questions you have in their extensive bank of info.

I know this is getting long but one more thing. I know that I'm really stuck on Dr. Sears but I recommend his "The Baby Book" as THE TOP book to have for new moms. It gives such terrific advice about everything from diapering, getting baby to sleep, medications, breastfeeding, baby illnesses, etc. He has a very natural approach and you may not care for some of his advice (like baby-wearing or co-sleeping) but his medical advice is tops! Anyway, just wanted to give a plug for his book (and the others in his series, too) if you don't already have it. It has been my bible with my babies for the first 2 years of their lives.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

COElizabeth
02-16-2003, 01:01 PM
I know you shouldn't give honey to a baby, but it's not a problem for a pregnant or nursing woman, is it?

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
02-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Nope, honey is fine for pregnant and nursing moms. Your intestinal tract is acidic enough to kill any bacteria, so nothing would survive to make it into your bloodstream or breastmilk.

And I second the endorsement for The Baby Book! The Breastfeeding Book is a winner, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
02-16-2003, 10:11 PM
I agree with Rachel...honey is no problem except for actually giving it to the baby.

I meant to mention earlier that from what I found, the main foods to avoid during nursing are the ones that bother your baby in particular. My first son seemed to go balistic every time I had pepperoni on a pizza (weird!). That was the only thing I ever found that bothered him. My second son had an intolerance for dairy in my diet. He was so fussy, had terrible bowel problems, and really stinky gas. I'd tried mylicon and all other gas remedies and they weren't solving anything. When I talked to our pediatrician he suggested that it might be the dairy and to cut it completely out of my diet for 2 weeks. It was sooooo hard to cut it out but I swear he was a different child within two days!! It was hard on me but totally worth having a happy baby. :-) It turns out that in some babies their intestinal lining isn't mature enough to digest the milk proteins (caseins) and it just gives them fits. By around 6 months, he was able to tolerate it and I was (thank God!) able to start having dairy again. I do think that breastfeeding moms often wrongly assume that it's something they are eating that's bothering their baby so be careful not to overreact to a crying jag. I've known moms who were down to eating almost the same things day after day because they were convinced that it bothered their fussy baby. Some babies are just fussy! (haha...words of wisdom!)

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

etwahl
02-16-2003, 10:30 PM
I just placed an order with amazon for both books - $25 for both (free shipping)

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

colleenfs
02-17-2003, 11:07 AM
For foods, I had some trouble with tomato sauce, broccoli, onions, garlic, orange juice ... anything spicy or gassy seemed to upset Julia. This did not last for all that long though.

I just want to warn you to be careful with cold medications. I got a terrible cold when Julia was 2.5 months, and I was told it was OK to take Sudafed. Well, not only does it dry up your sinuses, it dried up my milk too. Julia just wailed and wailed! I later talked to an LC, who recommended a saline nasal spray as the only real alternative.

I liked "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins, which includes a list of drugs and interactions in the back. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558321527/qid=1045493520/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2721019-3186432?v=glance&s=books

Good luck!

Colleen and Julia 1-10-02