PDA

View Full Version : Pump In Style and Engorgment

mcmorfit
02-21-2003, 04:32 PM
I've practiced hooking the Medela Pump In Style up. Did fellow mums use this to help with engorgement when your milk came in?

What do you do with the milk? Freeze it? Toss it?

As well, were you able to use other bottles other than the Medela? Can you just transfer the milk?

I'm realizing there is a lot to ask regarding this pump thing. By the way, I'm planning on staying at home, but will be using the pump for DH to give wee one a bottle later on and then when needed.

Ellen
EDD: 02/23/03, so I'll be pumping in February or March

COElizabeth
02-21-2003, 06:09 PM
I have a different Medela pump but did use it to relieve engorgement. It was a lot easier to pump a good amount in the beginning when my milk had just come in. I threw out the first few bottles only because I hadn't sterilized the pump yet but was desperate for relief! Once I got the pump sterilized, I did freeze the milk. I transfer milk from the Medela bottle or storage bag into whatever bottle we are using that feeding. Good luck!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

brubeck
02-21-2003, 07:36 PM
The pump is good for many things and relieving engorgement is one of them. I use my PIS for engorgement relief.

You can screw in regular baby bottles to the pump ends, but they might not fit in those plastic yellow stands. You can transfer the milk to other bottles as long as everything is clean. If you freeze the milk I would recommend using breastmilk storage bags to make it last as long as possible.

If you end up pumping a lot there is a kit with 4 extra bottles, 4 caps, and 4 nipples with lids that you can get from Medela. They also sell this at BRU.

Rachels
02-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Definitely save the milk! It's precious stuff. It will keep in the back of your freezer (not the door, and not touching the back wall)for up to three months,so you'll have plenty of time to use it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

spu
02-24-2003, 10:50 AM
I used my PIS daily for the first few months - initially to build up my supply, and then in the morning to relieve engorgement, and in the middle of the night when my babies started sleeping all night long at 2 mos. I had alot of trouble with plugged ducts (I was making more milk than the babies were eating) so the pump was a life saver. Now I use it in the car if we're out for a day trip. I can pump (I bought the lighter adapter) and give them a bottle of frest milk. I also use it to pump an ounce here and there to dilute their solids which we just started a month ago. Not all their foods need diluting, but it's nice to have.

We use the gerber storage bags for freezing. They have ziploc seals and freeze flat so you can build up a little bank if you are interested.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

Zansu
02-24-2003, 02:52 PM
You can also buy just bottles (or any other part) from several websites.

I've used www.mybreastpump.com several times, and have been very impressed by her selection and service.

1st timeparents
02-24-2003, 05:03 PM
I read on BRU that the nipples on these bottles were really slow - anyone else experience that. Or is that the avent bottles? They had to switch to the 3 month nipples.

At any rate - I am planning to get the PIS - glad to hear so many people love it. See the glowing reviews on BRU---5 stars!!!!

Karen

1st timeparents

mcmorfit
02-24-2003, 08:14 PM
I just picked up my Medela bags today at BRU. Thank you all for hte help.

Ellen
EDD: 02/230/03 - or sometime in the year 2003

brubeck
02-24-2003, 08:18 PM
One little trick: if the nipples are too slow just use a sterilized needle to make the hole slightly bigger. Worked for me!