PDA

View Full Version : Mommie's Coming Home Outfit

poisonivie2
02-23-2003, 04:28 PM
My son will be wearing the same gown that I wore home from the hospital which means so very much to me. But...what do I wear? I'd like to wear something nice because of pictures, etc. However, what size will I be? I'd hate to take something that is either too small or too big. I do have a pretty purple linen outfit that is a roomy button down shirt and the pants have an elastic waistband. I think that in April it will be warm enough to wear that. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks, Ivie
Mom to Spencer due 4/13/03

AngelaS
02-23-2003, 04:49 PM
When my first dd, I wasn't as thin as I was hoping and wore home the outfit I wore when I went into the hospital! With number two, I took some very roomy pants and comfy shirt to wear home and that was fine. :)

Momof3Labs
02-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Same here - I wasn't even able to fit into my maternity overalls (which I outgrew around 5-6 months) - so I had to wear the jeans that I wore into the hospital to go home!

Another option is to bring a maternity dress to wear home - I wish I had (but I also expected to go home in cool weather, and it was 84 degrees that day)!

August Mom
02-23-2003, 09:48 PM
I wore my favorite maternity dress home from the hospital. It was very comfortable and the waist could be adjusted with the attached strings. The only downside was that it was very windy on the day we came home. The wind blew up under the dress and made me look bigger than I really was. LOL

One thought about the photos. Hopefully you'll have family or friends at the hospital as you are getting ready to leave. If not, ask your nurse to take a picture of your family. My nurse suggested it and the photo of the three of us getting ready to leave the hospital as a family is one of my most treasured.

elvisfan
02-23-2003, 11:30 PM
Whatever you wear, make sure it's nothing you wouldn't mind staiing.After birth you will have a flow called lochia and, depending on how heavy it is(it's like a period), you might stain whatever you wear.

sparkeze
02-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Yes, unfortunately I just wore home what I wore to the hospital. And even more unfortunate - it still fit great!

I would take a maternity outfit that you like.

parkersmama
02-24-2003, 02:09 PM
I agree with everyone else. Take a nice maternity outfit that you like. One that is adjustable is good (i.e. adjustable waistband pants or elastic waist pants, a dress with adjustable ties, etc.). I wore a maternity dress home the first time and that worked out pretty good. The second time I wore a maternity t-shirt and pants and looking back I wish I'd worn something nicer. I've only known a couple of people who were actually able to wear non-maternity things home from the hospital.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

mamahill
02-25-2003, 01:54 AM
I just wanted to agree - I had DH bring a maternity outfit (other than the sweats and t-shirt I showed up in!) and it was just fine. And as soon as I got home I changed back into a nightgown. If there's an outfit you really want to wear, you can take it with you, but you might want to have your favorite (is there even a favorite by the time 9 months is up?!) maternity outfit as well, just in case. And really, at the time I don't really remember caring that much what I was wearing -- I was to caught up in my new baby!

poisonivie2
02-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks so much to all of you for all of the advice!!!! I hate to say it, but I don't really have a favorite maternity outfit and at this point I don't really want to spend money on one. I have some really nice things, but mostly basic items that can be worn every day. I was really hoping to get through the next 1 1/2 months with what I have. It might also be warm weather by the time Spencer comes and I have lots of sweaters, etc. because of being pregnant during the winter. I am reconsidering the linen outfit because of what a lot of you have said about staining. I'd hate to mess something up that I can wear after pregnancy that I really like. Lot's to think about. And thanks again to all of you! Keep the post coming as they have been very helpful!

Ivie
Mom to Spencer due 4/13/03

parkersmama
02-25-2003, 11:34 AM
I never had a problem with staining. Not even underwear. Both times by the time I left the hospital (and that was the day after birth with my 2nd) the bleeding was basically down to the level of my normal periods. I even wore my own gowns at the hospital because it made me feel more like myself and none of them got stained. Just be prepared that it's different for everyone.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003