PDA

View Full Version : Best Sippy Cup for starters

Andrea S
02-25-2003, 03:41 AM
I am starting to introduce the sippy cup Andrew is very interested he tries to reach for our cups he loves when I just put the regular cup up to his mouth he kinda laps it though like a puppy. I tried the Avent one you convert from your bottle, but he does not seem to suck it hard enough to get anything I tried taking the valve out, but then it pours out choking him. He is bf, but takes a bottle 1 day a week without problems. I did not know if I should try different kinds or he will figure it out.

Andrea

LisaS
02-25-2003, 05:54 AM
Try the playtex cups w/handles (small, white with colorful designs and tops) - so far, they are the best for us and we've tried them all (I acutally test drink out of the cup first to make sure the right amount comes out - we've had a few cups that I coulnd't even get anything out of :-). As the baby gets older, you can adjust the valve to get a faster flow out of it.

The other really good cups are Gerber - without handles, but still easy to hold - the flow is great - and they are easy to drink from as well - no leaks ever.

Some people love Avent - I did in the beginning of cup use - and for water, they're fine, but they tend to leak and DD won't drink as much milk out of these as she will from the Playtex ones.

Good luck

egoldber
02-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Try the First Years Take&Toss SpillProof cups. These do not have a valve, so that baby doesn't have to suck so hard. But they are relatively spillproof so that it doesn't make a mess or flow too quickly. We and many people I know used these with great success as the "first" sippy. I now mainly use others.

You get about 6 cups for $3. They are supposed to be "disposable", but I have been using mine for nearly a year.

HTH,

parkersmama
02-25-2003, 11:31 AM
We often used Tommy Tipee cups in the beginning. They have a weighted bottom and are not spillproof (so you'd only want to use them at the table or highchair). The spout has a nice angle to it that allows for the baby to control the flow of the liquid easily. After my kids got the hang of these, we moved on to others (Avent, Playtex, Gerber). I don't really have a favorite but did find that it took my kids quite a while to be able to suck the liquid out of a spillproof cup. One of mine even figured out straws before spillproof cups!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

mamahill
02-25-2003, 01:15 PM
We do the Avent ones and yes, at first, she would suck and then cough a little. It took some getting used to, but after soon she was a pro. I put the valve back in a couple months later and she didn't even bat an eyelash. But I'm interested in those Take and Toss cups Beth recommended since she has trouble with her Gerber cup. The good thing about the Avent ones is that the spout is soft and a little longer. Good luck with whatever you decide!

nohomama
02-25-2003, 02:33 PM
In my opinion sippy cups are like bottles. Generally, you have to try several before you find the one that works best for your baby and you. That said, I'd recommend any style (with or without handles) of Gerber cup.

sarsah
03-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Try the Playtex or Gerber cups. My DS never took to the Avent sippy cups -- I think they were too close to a bottle and it just made him upset when I gave them to him.

Also, try the cup yourself (and then wash it, of course), to see if it's hard to sip. The Playtex valves tend to be very hard to use at first, but once they open up they are fine.
Personally, I like the Gerber cups better than the Playtex ones because I find that they leak less.

Sarah....Jason's Mommie

Kate888
03-02-2003, 10:08 PM
I second that! I had no luck with other sippy cups until I found the Take&Toss SpillProof. It takes less effort to get the liquid out. DD got the hang of it almost immediately and has no problem using other sippy cups after that. They now come in new different colors, too. We've been using ours for almost 6 months.

Good luck!

Kate :)
Mom to Maya 2-17-02