PDA

View Full Version : crib placement advice needed -- small apt, BFing, HELP!

zen_bliss
02-27-2003, 07:37 AM
i'll be using a co-sleeper, but i thought having the crib set up from the get-go for naps would be good to get her used to it for when she outgrows the co-sleeper.

we have a small city apt and the choices are:
our bedroom -- very dark, quiet, faces in over residential courtyard, air-conditioned.
2nd room/office -- very bright, sunny, overlooks BUSY loud street (many sirens at all times). downside is grit that floats in, even with air filters and aggressive vacuuming. no A/C, room gets kind of hot during the day. the changing table & glider is in here for middle of night trips.

i am a total novice. i've thought that the downside of the crib in our bedroom is would it be a difficult transition when we move it to another room eventually... but the downside of having the crib in the office room is the street pollution and lack of a/c makes me nervous, but the upside is that she'd get accustomed to sleeping through anything : )

any thoughts from experienced city dwellers? many TIA!!

bnme
02-27-2003, 08:26 AM
I don't currently live in the city but I used to so I am familiar with the "black dust" as I used to call it.

My question would be is where do you plan to have the baby sleep after the co-sleeper? That is where I would put the crib for nap (and I guess I would avoid the 2nd room, unless that is what you plan to make baby's room). Could you even fit both the co-sleeper and the crib in your room?

It definetly would help to get the baby used to the noise, etc if that will be their room.

MichelleL
02-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Hi!

I also used to live in "the city" and recall that black sooty dust as well. I would say go ahead and put her crib in the 2nd bedroom. You could get one of those air conditioners for your window and have it professionally installed so there are no leaks on the sides for the soot to float in thru. Also, you will be so happy when she learns to sleep thru all those wonderful noises of the city. It makes life much easier for you in the long run. We put our ds in his own room at 2 weeks and everyone ended up sleeping so much better.

Just my 2cents! Wish I still lived in the city! But probably not today, I heard you're in for more snow! We are in Southern California now and for the last couple of days it has been raining a lot. The local news calls rain "storms" and they have "Storm Watch" going 24/7. Whew! If they only knew! ;) My dh & I crack up at the locals during these times!

Good Luck!
Michelle L