PDA

View Full Version : Teething

Eilly
03-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for this topic...

My six-month-old son is teething and seems to be experiencing a certain amount of pain and discomfort. Any tips on ways to help him get through this would be v.useful.

At the moment he likes chewing on my finger but does not accept wet washcloths cooled in the fridge or teething rings, either cool or room temperature. Have tried rubbing one of those soothing gels on his gums but he also protested vociferously at this!

Any other ideas welcome. Was sleeping through the night but is now waking at 2am and 4am again -- alas!

egoldber
03-01-2003, 03:31 PM
Try infant motrin. Call your ped for a dosage because the dose is weight dependent.

HTH,

August Mom
03-01-2003, 03:44 PM
I can relate. My 6-month-old DS has been waking during the night as well. :( He has now started to accept teething rings, but he resisted them at first. He did like to chew on soft toys, though. He had a Gund stuffed toy with a knotted hat that he especially liked to chew on. He also chewed on the stacking rings we have that are soft, not plastic. He did this despite his unwillingness to chew on a wet washcloth. It might be worth a try. Now, he also likes chewing on links. I think he likes those better than the actual teething rings.

COElizabeth
03-01-2003, 03:55 PM
I read somewhere (probably here!) that some babies like to be spoon-fed slushy, partly frozen milk or formula to soothe gums.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

colleenfs
03-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Get a Baby Safe Feeder http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056JCY/qid%3D1046548842/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-3196155-2955116, and fill it with frozen fruit or ice cubes. Julia loved to suck on frozen melon when she was teething. I also recommend Hyland's Teething Tablets http://www.earthbaby.com/hylands.html. I get them at my local grocery store. They also make a gel, but I have not used it. The tablets are homeopathic, and they dissolve instantly, so you don't need to worry about choking. I swear they work -- they even calmed down my fussy baby who just cut four molars at once. Good luck!

Colleen and Julia 1-10-02

Rachels
03-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Ugh. We are (miserably) right there with you. I agree with Beth--try infant motrin. Hyland's tablets do help, too, but they're milk-based-- just an FYI if your baby has any milk allergies. We have really good success with the homeopathic remedies chamomilla and hypericum, which provide some relief almost immediately.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02