PDA

View Full Version : DHA/ARA formulas

jen lehman
03-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Lately, I have seen several articles advising NOT to use the DHA/ARA formulas. Are these just from alarmists, or is there somthing to what they have to say?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer Lehman
Mother to Hannah (1/4/03)
Jennifer H. Lehman
EDD--1/7/03

schums
03-03-2003, 08:17 PM
I haven't heard not to use them. My ped just said it was a marketing gimmic, since VERY few babies can't make an adequate supply of DHA/ARA by themselves. She said that it would just get put in the diapers, and do no good for the baby, so save your $$.

Sarah

JMarie
03-04-2003, 12:20 AM
My ped actually recommended that we use either the Similac Advance or Enfamil Lipil for Aidan since he was five weeks early. All the studies I've read show some benefits for preemies but no real difference in those born on time. Since his doctors are saying it's okay, that's what we're going with, and since I can't BF, the additional cost is no big deal for my piece of mind. I'd rather Aidan get the benefits than save a few dollars.

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

nathansmom
03-04-2003, 12:48 AM
Nathan was in NICU and they started him on Enfamil Lipil in there, but he was not a preemie. I was unable to breastfeed and upon release they told us to stick with it. I did try just regular Enfamil with iron but Nathan just threw it up. The doctor said it was best to stick with what Nathan started on instead of trying to switch him. I think it just depends on what you start with.

caroliner
03-04-2003, 04:04 PM
I have never seen anything saying not to use these and we started with the Lipil. I definitely felt some guilt over being unable to BF, and Caroline took to the Lipil without a problem, so we stuck with it. I agree, if what you start with works, keep using it.

JulieL
03-12-2003, 09:24 PM
My ped said this was the best way to go if you could afford it. Studies show there are benifits for brain growth & developement. Although they haven't been out long why not cover all sides of the spectrim if you can afford it. My DS likes it but I am sure other formulas are fine to. It's up to you!

-JuileL
mama to Anthony 3/23/02