PDA

View Full Version : Please Help--Mysterious Ailment

kclm
03-04-2003, 09:47 AM
I'm hoping someone can help with a strange situation that has recently developed. Our breastfed 3-month-old normally never spits up--maybe once every 4-5 days or so. Then a week ago, he started spitting up frequently. He also had a mild fever (99.7), so the doctor thught it was probably a stomach virus. But a stomach virus should have gone away in a day or two, and he is still spitting up constantly even after a week, and his temperature has been normal. Also, he has been burping excessively. Normally I get a burp out of him maybe half the time, but now he burps loudly after each side when feeding, and often more than once during a side, plus he spontaneiously burps at other times during the day. Also, when I go to burp him mid-feed, he cries in discomfort until I get the burp out of him, and then he's fine; he never used to do this, he had always been very calm during burpings.

The doctor suggested that I eliminate dairy for 10 days to see if that helps, which I am doing starting today, but I honestly don't think that's it, since I have been eating dairy his whole life with no ill effects. The doctor said if that doesn't work, we can try giving him baby Zantac, but again, he really doesn't have any of the symptoms of reflux other than the spitting up, and again, he's been fine all his life until a week ago.

Sorry for the long post but I am really worried. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Thanks in advance--

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

egoldber
03-04-2003, 11:28 AM
So sorry you are going through this. No real help, but just some thoughts. Sometimes when babies have been sick, their digestive tracks get irritated and they can develop a short term reaction to dairy. Once they heal, then they can go back to their normal diet. Also, as for reflux, a friend of mine's baby was just diagnosed at 17 months. All her life her baby had never had any of the other symptoms of reflux but, like your baby, was a big burper with frequent, painful burps. Her baby is now on Zantac and my friend swears that she has a different child!

So just a few thoughts. Hopefully you and your ped can work this out soon!

HTH,

Rachels
03-04-2003, 11:50 AM
The same thing happened with us. Abigail developed reflux and food allergies when she was 3 months old, after having been fine until then. Keep in mind that when you cut out dairy, you have to cut it ALL out. Read labels and avoid anything that mentions casein or whey. It can take 2 weeks for the dairy to clear the baby's system. In the meantime, there's a homeopathic remedy by Boiron called Cocyntal, and that may help. Mylicon drops before a feeding may also help. You can also drink peppermint or chamomile tea, and that will help.

Feel free to email me if you need some support or have questions.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kclm
03-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Thank you both.

Rachel--I'd love to email you with questions--is there an email address I can use to reach you?

-Karen

emilyf
03-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Not much advice here-our boys are almost exactly the same age though! A friend of mine had something similar at 3 months and she decided it was from the apple juice she had been drinking. She stopped and the problem stopped. Could there be something else in your diet that wasn't there before?
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Rachels
03-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Sure! You can reach me at [email protected] . We've been through a tough time with this stuff-- I'd love to be of help to you if I can.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02