PDA

View Full Version : Please send good vibes to my left breast!

mcmorfit
03-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Seriously!

Little Lucy has taken a strong liking to my right side and loves to be nursed lying down (hence perfect for our co-sleeper), however we need to do some work with the left side. I have a dimpled nipple which I have been wearing a shell for, but she is fussy and has a hard time latching on. Yesterday a LC came and said it is normal for a baby to like one side more. I know the two words with BFing are persistance and patience, but it seems like one session is good then the next fussy. I have been starting with the right, switching to left if she takes it, then back to the right until she in in a zen state, then back to left. She is gaining weight and wetting diapers so that is a good thing and in due time it will happen.

Anything fellow moms did?

Thanks,

Ellen
Mamma to Lucy C. 2/27/03

lisams
03-05-2003, 05:46 PM
I had a similar experience and had to wear a shell for about two weeks. The nurses told me to start on the inverted nipple first, since she would be more hungry and therefore more likely to try. Also, pumping for a minute before she latches on will help draw the nipple out and also flavor it so it's a little more tempting.

The nipple eventually stayed out, which was good because those shells got messy!! I know it's frustrating now, but things will get better.

Hope this helps!

parkersmama
03-05-2003, 06:22 PM
I don't have any nipple problems but I always wondered why my first child preferred one breast to the other. THEN, I went back to work and found out! One side (I refer to it as the "bad breast" LOL) doesn't produce but about 1/2 as much milk as the other. Once I figured this all out and nursing was well established I just started always feeding on the bad side first. For the same reason mentioned before it seemed to work for us and when I had my second child I pretty much started that system from the beginning. If I don't do it this way, my kids get full on the "good breast" and the bad one just loses production quickly. I think it's very normal to have something like this and don't feel like there's a set formula you have to go by. Although many (maybe even most) can do the switch with every feeding thing, some of us can't and we have to come up with what works best for us! It's definitely an individual thing! Good luck!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

Rachels
03-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Keep at it! Eventually the adhesion that causes your nipple to invert will break, and then the nipple will stay out. A nipple shield (different from a shell) might help, too. You could begin with the shield and then slip it off after a minute or two, when the nipple is pulled out. Hang in there!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
03-05-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm sorry - the only thing I can do is giggle at the thought of sending vibes to your boob. :D But thanks for the laugh!

mcmorfit
03-06-2003, 11:48 AM
I know sending vibes to a breast is a rather strange request, my DH keeps telling Lucy that he likes it, so she should give it a try.

Thank you for sharing experiences, it is as somebody mentioned, something that will be figured out. Thanks again!

Ellen
Mamma to Lucy C. 2/27/03

parkersmama
03-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Poor dh! He probably hasn't really realized yet that now those boobs belong to the baby! LOL! After being sucked and fondled all day by a baby, the last thing I've wanted was to be touched there by a man! Unfortunately, this didn't necessarily end after bfing was over. I guess breasts are purely functional to me now much to my dh's dismay!

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003