PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Nipple sizes

kclm
03-05-2003, 06:15 PM
When does one go to a larger nipple size on a bottle? DS gets one bottle a day. He's 3 1/2 months old and we're still using the Avent newborn nipple. Should we go to the next size?

Thanks in advance.

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

parkersmama
03-05-2003, 06:27 PM
If he's only having one bottle a day, I'm assuming you're nursing the rest of the time? My kids took bottles of EBM during the hours that I was at work when they were infants. I used Avent bottles, too, and I never did switch from the newborn nipples and they used them until they turned 1 and I quit pumping! My theory was that if "they" say that sucking from the breast is harder/more work than from a bottle, I'm going to keep the bottle part as much work as possible so that they don't start preferring the bottle to the breast. I don't have any scientific proof to back this up other than my own two children but it worked really well for us. I pumped for the first year with each of them and then switched them to cups of regular milk for my work hours and nursed them the rest of the time until around 21 months each. I do know plenty of people, though, who switched to the more advanced nipples at whatever ages the Avent people specified and had no problems at all.

Denise
mom to:
Parker, 9/1/1997
Wesley, 3/9/2000
and #3 (a girl!) due 4/29/2003

caroliner
03-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Cannot speak to the Avents, but we are still on the stage one nipples with Dr. Browns at 8 months old! I wonder if we'll ever move up?