PDA

View Full Version : Purely Yours vs. PIS

shrimp
03-06-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi all

I am trying to decide on a pump and seem to have conflicting advise!
I've ruled out the Whittlestone because if we travel overseas we cannot plug it in!
So it's down to the Purely Yours or PIS.
Some questions:
Which one is more comfortable?
Which one is quieter? ( I plan to pump in an empty office (horrors!))
Is the traveler PIS worth the extra $$$ for convenience of the removable cooler & motor?
The Purely Yours can do single or double pumping - is the PIS the same?
Opinions?

Any additional advise will be appreciated!

Zansu
03-06-2003, 06:18 PM
I have the PIS Traveler. I bought it b/c I find the backpack to be the easiest to carry and the most discrete to cart around the office. Most people think it's a gym bag.

I've never had a reason to remove the motor. The cooler tote is handy to use for transporting bottles to Grandma's or DC. I also like the battery pack and car adapter options. I've never used the battery pack, but I do pump in the car from time to time.

If I'm trying to pump quietly, I just zip up the front of the bag. This muffles the sound, although it does not eliminate it completely.

I've also purchased a different size of horns (the funnel part), which increased my comfort level tremendously. Most people do fine with the original horns.

You can single or double pump with the PIS.

Sorry I can't answer any questions about the PY.

HTH
Suzanne
W&P for Benjamin 5/1/02

Momof3Labs
03-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Not to make things more difficult, but if you travel overseas, can't you buy an adaptor so that you can still plug in the Whittlestone? I'm sure that I've seen these in travel stores.

somedayamommy
03-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Check out this link for pumps
http://www.artofbreastfeeding.com/cgi-bin/store/AoB2.cgi?CPAGE=Choosing.html

COElizabeth
03-27-2003, 06:23 PM
I just received my Whittlestone today, and the video says it is adaptable for use in foreign countries.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

stillplayswithbarbies
03-28-2003, 11:44 PM
I chose the Purely Yours because it weighs less, and because you can take just the pump with you and you don't need to use their carrying case. The Pump In Style requires their tote or backpack to plug it in and use it.

Purely Yours is also cheaper, and you can buy just the pump and horns and use your own tote bag and cooler bag. There is nothing special about the cooler bag and ice packs that come with the pumps. You can get a lunch size tote and the ice packs much cheaper at Target or WalMart or whatever rather than paying so much for a "special" one that comes with the pump.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

atlmom
03-29-2003, 01:01 AM
I have the PY and have been using for almost one year now. It has performed very well and is lightweight. The power supply is pretty bulky and heavy, so I leave it at my office and use the pump on battery power if I need it at home. Since I nurse when I'm home, I rarely need to use the pump outside of the office.

Hollister (Ameda) customer service was excellent. My pump broke and I called them at around 3:00 p.m. one afternoon. I had a brand new pump at my office by 10:00 a.m. the next day. No charges whatsoever.

I also like the closed system. I have heard many complaints about milk in the tubing for the PIS. Milk cannot get to the tubing for the PY so it's not an issue.

I think you will be happy with either based on comments I have read.

Ashley
mom to Spencer 4.9.02

Rachels
03-29-2003, 10:34 AM
Try a search-- there have been lots of reviews, and I posted a review of both.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

GSDEHART
03-29-2003, 11:25 AM
I have used the Purely Yours for both of my children (ages 2 and 2 months) and think it has been an excellent pump. If you decide to buy one, you might want to check out e-bay because they sell them a lot cheaper there and you can also order extra supplies at a discount too.
Good luck!