PDA

View Full Version : stain removal

LucyG
03-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know of a good method for removing stains from breastmilk bowel movements? I have tried Shout with soaking in cold water, but it hasn't worked completely. Thanks!

Momof3Labs
03-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Oxy Clean works for us - two scoops in half a bucket of hot water, let sit for several hours, then hang to dry. The stain continues to come out while it is drying. Then launder as usual. Zout works, too, for smaller stains.

COElizabeth
03-08-2003, 05:46 PM
The Shout gel works for me. I put a lot on and then wash in warm or hot water if the fabric will take it. The warmer the water, the better it works. I also sometimes have to do it 2 or 3 times, but I have gotten it out just about always, sometimes even after accidentally drying a stained garment.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

mbrennan33
03-08-2003, 10:19 PM
ZOUT!! They just started making it in a Spray(Gel also available). I use this for everything and it works wonders. It works much better if you treat the stain as soon as possible.

egoldber
03-09-2003, 10:11 AM
I also swear by Zout. And Biz is great too. I get it at Target, where they have it in liquid, which I like much better than the powder version.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Beth, where do you find Zout?? I find it very hard to find, so I have to ration my supply LOL!

egoldber
03-09-2003, 11:15 AM
I get mine at my local Safeway (grocery store). If you go to Zout.com, they have a store locator. Around me, it says it is available at Safeway, Giant and KMart.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
03-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Thanks, the store locator helped - all the stores that carry it are places that I don't normally shop! So I guess that I will have to make a point to make periodic trips to stock up on Zout!

SASM
03-09-2003, 03:25 PM
If you live near a Restoration Hardware, try their "Bleach Stick". It is a green push-up tube with white lettering. It is a GREAT product!! It is safe for colored fabrics - does not contain bleach.

colleenfs
03-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Totally Toddler is an enzyme based product that works really well on "organic" stains. It even got a months-old breastmilk spitup stain off of the carpet. I had tried tons of other products on it, but the Totally Toddler did the job. I get it at BRU.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02
edited for spelling mistake

LucyG
03-09-2003, 04:38 PM
I have never heard of Zout, but I will look for it. Thanks!

ywolf
03-10-2003, 01:29 AM
I buy Zout at the Grocery store or Bed Bath and Beyond.

bnme
03-10-2003, 09:10 AM
I had never heard of Zout until it was reccomended here. Still haven't looked for it, but there are coupons for it in yesterdays paper.

AngelaS
03-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Here's what I use to take stains off whites and light colored clothes. DON'T use it on darks or items with a dark stripe, 'cause it can make the color run.

I've sucessfully used this on garage sale finds with nasty yellow set in/gone thru the dryer stains!

1/2 c. Biz or Clorox 2 (color safe bleach)
1/2 c. Cascade (the dishwasher soap)
1 gallon HOT tap water

Dissolve the soaps in the water, submerge the clothes and then let soak for 8 to 12 hours. Then dump the whole bucket into the washer add detergent and wash. :)