PDA

View Full Version : Rachels - What Kind of Cup Do You Use?

August Mom
03-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Subject edited and edited to say: I posted this question several days ago and received no responses, so I thought I'd try again. I seem to remember a post by Rachels about her DD drinking from a cup but not a sippy cup, so Rachels, I hope you can help.

Well, we're still on our endless search to find some container out of which DS will drink. We failed with bottles. He's interested in his various sippy cups, but can't seem to get the hang of sucking correctly (even with the Take and Toss cups). However, he is completely intrigued by my bottles of water. He'll grab the bottle and bring it to his mouth. I have tilted it and he has actually consumed liquid out of something other than me. LOL Anyway, it made me think that perhaps the best way to get him to drink EBM from someone other than me might be with a regular cup, but I'm not sure what kind.

Does anyone have a favorite or any features (like handles?) that are necessary? I tried using one of the Take and Toss Cups without the lid, but the lip seemed to get in the way and the circumference of the cup seemed too big. Any suggestions? Also, is it too early to try a straw? DS is almost 7 months.

mamahill
03-16-2003, 10:31 PM
I'm not Rachel, but Ainsleigh never took bottles either. She also didn't like the hard spouts from the Gerber and Playtex cups. She loved gnawing on the Avent spouts, but didn't master the sucking until I took out the valve and she realized that just sucking a little would bring out more. After a couple months of that, I put the valve back in. It took a couple days, but soon she was chugging like a pro. I think one reason she liked the Avent ones was because the spout is soft (the white ones are softer than the green) and longer/thinner and easier to grasp with her gums. Also, I'm finally getting use out of my Avent bottles! Good luck!

Sandy
03-17-2003, 12:23 AM
We really like the first years sippy cups. They come with or without handles. We use the ones without handles.

http://www.thefirstyears.com/products/Product.asp?pValue=1801

We also have the avent cups that are great.

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Rachels
03-17-2003, 12:37 PM
I have a tiny pottery mug someone made for Abigail, and I also use her little silver cup with her name engraved on it. The little paper cups that are bathroom-sized are also a good size. At this point, though, she'll drink from any cup that isn't too tall.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 03:14 PM
The first sippy type cup that we use is the Tommy Tippee cups. They have handles and are short and fat. The bottoms are weighted so that they don't tip over easily. There is no valve and the spout is angled in such a way that the liquid flows easily from the cup. Both my kids couldn't get the hang of the cups with the valve but learned to drink with these and then switched to the other kind after a while. The cups I have were made by The First Years but I dug around their website and didn't see them. But, another cup that my children were able to drink out of fairly on is this one, also from The First Years: http://www.thefirstyears.com/products/product.asp?pValue=1765 It is spill proof but the valve isn't removable and for some reason they were able to get the hang of it easier.