PDA

View Full Version : used breast pumps

barbarhow
03-15-2003, 07:58 PM
I am sure that I saw the answer to this somewhere but now can neither find the answer nor remember what I read-the little critter due in 10 days is sapping all of my brain power....A friend has loaned her Pump in Style to me. Do I need to get new tubing or can I just sterilize it in the microwave. Also I am planning to breast feed as long as possible-pumping after my return to work. How many bottles should I have on hand-for when we start using bottle feeds at 4-6 weeks? Many thanks from clueless mom-to-be.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-15-2003, 08:47 PM
I would call Medela customer service and ask them. 1-800-435-8316 (they were very helpful when I called to ask about their pump) The websites do say that breast pumps are not to be shared or borrowed or bought used, (other than the rental kinds). The Pump In Style is not a closed system, from what I have read, and the pump parts where there might be milk can't be sterilized.

That is one reason I decided on the Ameda Purely Yours over the Medela Pump In Style.

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

KathyO
03-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Careful with microwave sterilizing... you might end up melting some components... really, a good, brisk washing in super-hot, soapy water, followed by a rinse in hot water, then a thorough air dry, should do the trick. If you want to feel that you've done a more aggressive sterilizing, you could always boil the tubing for a few minutes.

Companies will tell you that the system should not be loaned because:

(A) they cannot absolutely guarantee that there isn't some theoretical (emphasis on the "theoretical") risk of lingering contamination in the motor, which might somehow manage to make its way back down the tubing (against the suction flow),
(B) they are afraid of potential lawsuits arising from (A), and
(C) they are highly motivated to sell more new pumps.

And since you're talking about a loaner from a friend, you can probably be fairly confident that she'd mention it if she happened to have HIV/Hepatitis B/anything like that. I'd go for it if it were me.

HTH,

KathyO

C99
03-15-2003, 09:22 PM
For bottles, I would say the more, the better. I use the Enfamil water bottles that the hospital gave me to pump milk (I have about 18) and then tranfer them to the Avent bottles he feeds out of (I have 6 of the 4 oz bottles right now, but want more). hth.

Momof3Labs
03-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Personally, I would buy new tubing and shields. The whole she-bang will cost you about $25 (tubing is about $4-5 of that). Here's one place to buy parts: www.mybreastpump.com

How many bottles will you give daily? Once you introduce the bottle, it is recommended that you offer 2-3 bottles per week to keep it fresh. So you really don't need that many bottles to begin with, if that is all that you are offering. I wouldn't buy too many - who knows which bottle system your baby will prefer?? You can always stock up once you know what works for you!

barbarhow
03-19-2003, 10:21 AM
So I feel a tad stupid. I unpacked the breast pump and looked it over the other night. It is an Ameda Purely Yours, not a PIS. My friend had the brochures for both in the tote bag and I just happened to grab the Medela one. So It being an open system I can clean it? I'm not totally sure of the difference. If you can clue me in I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Barbara mom to be...due 3/25/03 but am told baby is fat, happy and content right where he/she is.

juliasdad
03-19-2003, 11:04 AM
If it's an Ameda Purely Yours, that system is designed in such a way that breastmilk will never enter the tubing, and so there is nothing you need do with the tubing, the caps, or the pump itself. The parts to be concerned with are:
- the clear, thimble-shaped silicone diaphragm;
- the solid white, round-on-top and pointed-on-bottom valve;
- the clear plastic horn assembly that holds those parts;
- and anything else "downstream" (e.g. the collection bottles)

These can *all* be cleaned and steam-sterilized very easily. If you prefer, they can all be purchased as a kit from Ameda.

Also, check those valves carefully; they do develop small tears from use, which will render the pump anywhere from somewhat ineffective to completely useless. DW wasted weeks of pumping time thinking she was no longer producing well, when in fact it was small tears in both valves! Get spares.

-dan

barbarhow
03-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Thank you!!!! Probably a good idea if I get new tubing then since my friend hasn't used the pump in 2 years. Thanks!!

juliasdad
03-21-2003, 06:11 PM
New tubing is completely unnecessary (unless, of course, it shows signs of abuse or cracking); the tubing is completely sealed from the milk collection area.

-dan

stillplayswithbarbies
03-23-2003, 07:55 PM
I just came across this article about used breast pumps and remembered this thread:

http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/pumps.shtml

...Karen
Mom to Jake age 12 and expecting Logan Elizabeth or Garrett Logan, EDD March 21

KathyO
03-23-2003, 09:10 PM
It's interesting, but I think the writer should go back and redo her lists. At least two of the pumps listed as having potential problems with milk getting into the motor... have no motors. These pumps can be fully disassembled and fully sterilized. The manufacturers may list them as single-use, but I can't think of any reason why. Even the FDA says that if they can be adequately sterilized, there is no problem.

If any well-documented cases of infection via breast pump motor contamination pop up, I'd be very interested. I tried to find any a while ago, but was unsuccessful.

Cheers,

KathyO