PDA

View Full Version : WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES...

etwahl
03-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Everyone - a quick reply because I have Lauren on my knee and haven't mastered computer and her at the same time yet.

I think I feel we're turning a corner. Went back to the doctor today and she put a little weight back on - YAY!!! So, they've given me the go ahead to stop formula until tomorrow when I go back in for another weight check. My milk seems to have come in (or is coming in, I really don't know the difference) but there is definitely swallowing now on her part, and the most exciting thing - I see milk on the side of her mouth when she's done. PLUS, she's got seedy bowel movements, which I understand is the breast milk.

Now that we're off formula, she's actually nursing again. I firmly believed the formula was making her extra tired and not wanting to feed as often, so it was frustrating for me because I knew that and was supposed to feed every 2.5 hours, but she wouldn't feed except every four hours, so it was killing me. She now seems to want to feed A LOT, and I am committed to feeding 24/7 right now if she wants, especially until tomorrow's weight check to see how she's doing.

I definitely feel 100% better right now. Of course, there are lots of down moments and still have no sleep or sanity, but knowing she's doing better has got me exhilarated beyond belief.

Stupid nurse at the hospital today - she checked her temp and it was 97.7 -- she said something like "I think it's the weather (it's a little cloudy and cool today), some moms are dressing their babies like it's summer time"...I almost punched the b&tch. Because it was at that exact moment I realized I had forgotten Lauren's hat. Mind you, she was dressed in a tshirt, sleeper and had two blankets and socks, but never mind, I had forgotten the hat and this "nurse" had to make me feel like I'm a horrible mother at the worst possible moment. Then we see the ped, and Lauren was twitching A LOT (while asleep) and they were worried that if she did it while she was awake, that we take her to the ER immediately because they're concerned about seizures...great, another disasterous moment. AND then to top it all off, I decided to get the Hep B shot that I declined at her birth and the guy who gave it to her says (after she cried for only like 3 seconds, she was a trooper) "BLAME your mommy - she did this to you..."

Needless to say I am on a mission to get registered with an "in town" pediatrician's office (this was the Naval Hospital).

But the bright side is Lauren is feeding and we are doing much better. What a difference a day makes. Let's hope tomorrow's weight check is positive. I'm feeling much better about it.

Also, just wanted to mention that she wasn't really taking to the left breast. Well I discovered that I think it's her sinuses which were a little swollen at birth, and the position I was using for the left one blocked her nose too much, so I switched positions for the left breast and now she takes it just as much as the right - yay. I guess I'm starting to get the hang of this "instincts" thing.

Thanks everyone for your support. Am sure I'll need much, much more, but thrilled at this wonderful corner I've turned.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

nathansmom
03-16-2003, 08:18 PM
I'm so glad things are working out for you and your having a better day. You are not a bad mother by any means, remember what you told me when I was thinking the same thing. Military personal at hospitals and clinics are not always the kindest people in my experience with them.
I'm so glad your feeling better today.

Momof3Labs
03-16-2003, 08:21 PM
Tammy,

I'm so glad that things have improved!! Once Colin got the hang of nursing, he nursed about every hour for the next day (not that I minded either). And then he settled down into a nice, every 2-3 hour routine. I'm sure that Lauren will do something similar.

Just keep on counting the wet and dirty diapers to make sure that she is getting enough to eat, and the periodic weight checks will help ease your mind, too. But don't get too hung up on weight - just keep on counting those diapers!

(PS - it sounds like you ran into some real doozies at the doctor's office. Try your best to not let those idiotic comments bother you!)

egoldber
03-16-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm so glad you posted! I've been worried about you all day!

I'm so glad things seem better today. It really does take a little while for things to "click".

megsmom
03-16-2003, 09:51 PM
It sounds like things are going much better. Meg and I had such nursing problems in the beginning, very similar to yours, and I felt much the same way. What we needed was about 3-4 days to figure out what the heck was going on and to assimilate all the advice we'd gotten. Some babies figure nursing out right away, others like Meg and Lauren, just need a lot of time. Meghan actually lost more than 10 percent of her body weight in the first three days and was a very, very sleepy baby until my milk came in. Then she was like a little sucking animal! It's unbelievable how any of us survive the first few days of motherhood with no sleep and worry like you've never experienced before. You got such great advice and support from all the BB board pros, I didn't have any of it the first month I was a mom. I certainly will be posting my heart out here next time around!

Try to ignore the best you can all of the "helpful" comments that you got from the nurse and guy who gave her the shot. What a bunch of do-dos. A nurse actually made a similar comment to me about "overheating" Meghan when I had her in a sleeper when she was 3 days old. I spent the next 3 days I think freezing her to death since I only had her in a t-shirt and blanket. Of course she was sleeping poorly and fussy, and my mother-in-law was horrified when she came, and rightly so I think. She started relaxing and sleeping right after we put her back in the sleepers. Ah, the things experience teaches us. :)

Hopefully, you are catching a few hours of sleep between feeds. We'll be here if you need us.

Jen
mom to Meghan 7/13/01

brubeck
03-16-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm glad things are going so much better for you. Just remember, you have already been through the worst of it and it will just keep getting better!

momathome
03-16-2003, 10:47 PM
Yeah!!! I'm glad to hear things are going so much better for you. Before you know it, you'll be able to eat dinner, type at the computer, and nurse the baby all at the same time (mothers because master multi-taskers!!!) Try your best to ignore all the crazies out there - you're sure to encounter more than a few to make your head spin! Take care-
Lauren

SASM
03-16-2003, 11:50 PM
OH...a HUGE, BIG YAY!!!! Good luck!!

mama2be
03-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Tammy,

AWESOME NEWS-I am so glad that things have turned around!!!! We just rolled back into town (no computer access) and I am so sorry that you have been going thru this. We have been thinking about you.

I am so glad that things are going better!!!
Let me know if I can help with anything..

Hugs and Kisses!!!

newbelly2002
03-17-2003, 03:32 AM
So glad to hear that things are better.

Idiots, they're all idiots. Unsolicited advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. And in your case with those doozies from the Dr's office, perhaps a little less. Yikes. It sounds like Lauren was plenty warm enough. The hat issue seems to be a sticking point for "advice givers."

And the bad news is, it doesn't stop. We were at play group a few weeks ago and another mommy said "oh, look your baby only has four toes!" I panicked, looked down, and counted five. "Whew," she said "I thought there were only four." (To which, I'm thinking "and if he only did have four, hwo rude would that have been to draw attention to it?). Later, she went on to tell me how cute Dante looked because he had such very very short legs in proportion to the rest of his body. Sigh.

Glad to hear things are going better!

Paula

mcmorfit
03-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Tammy,

So glad to hear the feedings are getting better - Yippee! Little Lauren will begin growing like crazy. I had a really tricky time with Lucy, but this last week with the help of a doula and LC we are turning the corner and she has surpassed her birth weight - so go Lucy and go Lauren! I'm taking them one feeding at a time.

Ellen
Mamma to Lucy 2/27/03