PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding books... what do you recommend?

duein june2003
03-16-2003, 10:21 PM
I want to start 'studying' up on bf. any recommendations out there on good books? I'm taking a class that includes it, but I want to make sure I cover my bases!! Thanks!!

SASM
03-16-2003, 11:55 PM
There was a thread about this in January, I think :-) I like "The Breastfeeding Book" by Sears. "So That's What They're For: Breastfeeding Basics" by Janet Tamaro is also interesting. Go to your library and check out several different ones before you invest. One of my LCs recommended the LLL one and "Nursing Mother's Companion" but I did not care for either. Good luck!

Karenn
03-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Checking them out at the library beforehand is a great idea! I wish I'd done that. The book that was most useful to me was the breastfeeding section of Pregnancy, Childbirth and The Newborn by Penny Simpkin. I also had the one by Eiger and Olds, but in retrospect, it seemed a little dated to me.

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 03:22 PM
My favorite is "The Breastfeeding Book" by the Sears. Also, "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins (i think that's right) is a pretty good one. I second the recomendation to avoid the one by LLL (can't remember the name right now!). It wasn't that helpful to me, the text and pictures seemed dated, and a lot of the advice just didn't seem practical. A lot of people really love it, though, so check it out at the library if you can just to see!

mcmorfit
03-17-2003, 05:55 PM
My bible so far has been "The Nursing Mother's Companion" by Kathleen Huggins (this one has been mentioned). Lucy is now 19 days old, and I wish I would have read the book BEFORE I gave birth. It has really helped me out as issues arise.

Good Luck!

Ellen
Mamma to Lucy 2/27/03

cmcostain
03-17-2003, 07:20 PM
I read "So that's what they're for" and just checked it out of the library. I also recommend anything by Dr. Sears. Very thorough advice and very helpful, too!

Christina <><

Sarah1
03-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Another BIG thumbs up for "Nursing Mother's COmpanion"...VERY comprehensive, lots of detail!

nohomama
03-21-2003, 10:31 AM
I liked the "The Nursing Mother's Problem Solver" by Claire Martin. It's organized alphabetically by topic, making it easy to find an answer to a question at 3 a.m. when you're desparate and your babe is screaming. I especially appreciated that the tone of the book was pro breastfeeding without being doctrinaire.

egoldber
03-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Wanted to second this recommendation! I picked up a copy at a used bookstore after reading nohomama's recommendation, and I thought it was a great book!

The Sears breastfeeding book is also pretty good (and I didn't really like his pregnancy book).

HTH,

C99
03-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Kathleen Huggins' book for the straight 411. Janet Tamaro's book, So That's What They're There For! for all of the information in Huggins' book but told with lots of humor and personal stories.

duein june2003
03-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone!! I checked out the Nursing Mother's Companion- it seems very straight forward and explains things nicely!! :-) Ruth