PDA

View Full Version : VERY good news!

etwahl
03-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Went to the ped today for another weight check and for him to look her over. Well we got the best news I could ever imagine. He said point blank - they hope for 20 (I forget the weight measurement, let's say it's milligrams) weight gain per day, they are thrilled with 30, and he said Lauren gained a whopping 60 since yesterday - so basically DOUBLE what they are normally THRILLED with. All that on solely breast milk. I said "wow, she's doing so great" and he said "no, you're the one doing great - she's thriving on your super strength breast milk".

Also, I just realized that Lauren feeds on a quite unusual schedule - sometimes she goes four hours without eating and then she will feed for like one hour, takes a 20 minute break, then feeds again for 30 minutes. Well I hope that changes a little, but at this point don't care - when she wants to eat, I'm ready to feed her. And we've got latching down and it's working really well.

I'm seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow. I still have a lot to learn, and really want to learn how to feed in bed, but we're definitely on our way.

Thanks for the continued support everyone.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

gour0
03-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Thats' great! Good for you! I haven't been able to keep up so this is amazing news to me. :) I hope to see an LC too. Benjamin is eating but it still hurts me. I'm so happy that Lauren is doing well. I was really worried. You are so strong. I can't say that enough! I'm so glad I 'know' you.

nathansmom
03-17-2003, 09:04 PM
I'm glad things went well for you today. Hopefully they keep going that way, which I'm sure they will.

egoldber
03-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah!!!

Remember, she's still new and trying to figure things out too. :) She will eventually settle into a more predictable routine, but it sounds like you guys are doing super! And it sounds like you've got a great, supportive ped. That is SOOO important.

August Mom
03-17-2003, 09:11 PM
That's GREAT news, Tammy. I'm so happy for you and Lauren.

Melanie
03-17-2003, 09:17 PM
I responded to your other thread (spoke too soon), but I have a few more comments (surprise! surprise!)

Feeding in bed took me many months to get the hang of, so don't feel bad that you haven't mastered it already! Ds wouldn't latch well, so I had to hold his head all the time.

Ds also fed at regular intervals, until evening then he would "cluster feed," to store up for the night (yes, he slept through the night once upon a time...hahaha). Definitely feed her when she wants to eat. All those schedules are for formula babies b/c you know exactly what they are getting, the content and the quanitity. Your breastmilk will depend on what you eat, so it's not only always going to vary in quantity, but quality also.

Take care!

Mommy to Jonah

mamahill
03-17-2003, 09:20 PM
FANTASTIC NEWS! And your doc is right - YOU are doing a fantastic job. Way to go, super mom. Hopefully you won't be so stressed and can begin enjoying these first few days. I've been really worried about you but am so glad you're coming through this with flying colors. Hopefully Stacey can get some help too, and our March 12th babies and moms will be breezing along in no time!

jubilee
03-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Congratulations on being committed to breastfeeding!! You are a great example!

COElizabeth
03-17-2003, 10:33 PM
So happy to hear the good news, Tammy! It's amazing how much babies vary from one another right from the very beginning and how they thrive with different patterns and schedules (or lack thereof!). You are BOTH doing great!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

parkersmama
03-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Terrific! I knew you could do it! I think seeing an LC (like you're planning) is a great idea. She'll be able to give you some support, fresh ideas, and confirm that everything is going well. You'll be amazed at how good that confirmation makes you feel...like you're a 4th grader who just aced a test! LOL!

I agree with whoever said nursing in bed takes time (I'm assuming you mean lying down?). As a matter of fact, with two kids I've still never been able to master it! I guess that's why my wingback chair in the nursery that I can sleep in while nursing is of such vital importance to me! I think for me it is a problem with being large breasted so maybe (if you don't have that problem) it won't be too hard for you. You certainly deserve for *something* to go easy!!!

Congrats again!

kathsmom
03-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Tammy,

I wanted to let you know that I am so happy for you. I am glad that Lauren is hanging in there. Your ped. sounded so supportive to you and your breastfeeding.

I didn't get a chance to respond to your other posts. DH has needed the phone and internet (on the same line) for his job hunt. I gave DS to him to feed tonight so I can do some catching up.

I did not bf our DS, but I did try with DD and had a difficult time with it. A lactation consultant came out to see me 3 days after we left the hospital, but I didn't know that you could get a follow up. I had so much trouble that I gave up after 6 weeks of trying and supplementing with formula. I'm glad things are going better for you!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

partyof5
03-17-2003, 11:46 PM
Hi Tammy!

I'm so happy to hear that you and Lauren are doing well. You're doing a Wonderful job!

egoldber
03-17-2003, 11:51 PM
I was also never able to do this with my DD. Since she had such a weak suck, if I tried to lie down, she came right off. :( I was always so jealous of moms that could do that!

jojo2324
03-18-2003, 12:27 AM
Tammy, that is wonderful news!! I am so glad that things are going well for you and Lauren. The first week Gannon was home he was sleeping 12 hour stretches. DURING THE DAY. I could not wake him up, no matter what method I was using. Obviously he grew out of that right quick, because now he can barely do a four hour stretch. :P I am so happy for you!! I hope that you can rest a bit easier now.

Rachels
03-18-2003, 09:08 AM
YAAAAAAAAAYYYYY! Tammy, I read your other post first, so hadn't seen this one yet! Good for you! You are taking perfect care of Lauren. Hopefully her wonderful weight gain will relieve a little stress for you and allow you to follow her schedule rather than your ped's. That way you can both get some rest!

Is the LC coming to your house? I would NEVER have figured out feeding in bed without that. I actually had mine come twice to show me how, and wow, what a difference. Very helpful for a tired mom.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
03-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Tammy,

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!! I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond to your other post (we've been searching for our missing taby cat for the last 3 days) but it seems that you got excellent advise and the moral support you needed to be successful.

If it makes you feel any better, I was making desparate calls at 3:00 in the morning to my midwives, 24 hour nursing hotlines, the L & D unit at our local hospital (even though Lola was born at home!), and anyone who would talk to a hysterical new Mama (and/or Papa) at that hour. I've come to think of the first few days of a baby's life as a hazing ritual for new parents.

Good luck with the nursing consultant. Like Melanie, it also took months for me to learn the skill of nursing in bed. Nursing is a learned art and it takes times to get down all its subtleties and nuanses. I hope she gives you some great tips.

MartiesMom2B
03-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Tammy:

I am so happy for you and Lauren. It must be so rewarding to have your pediatrician reaffirm your choice.

I am doubly thrilled that you stuck with it. I was talking to my mom yesterday and telling her about my fears with breastfeeding. I really want to breastfeed and will be determined to make it work, but I was hearing of a bunch of women who were having problems with it. You have given me the confidence that when Martie comes and we are learning to bf together that it can work.

Thank you so much and congrats!!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

alkagift
03-18-2003, 11:06 AM
Tammy,
I was really thrilled to see that it worked out--I was worried for you and worried I wouldn't be able to do this. Your success has certainly been VERY encouraging to the rest of us. We are so happy for you and Lauren!

Allison
Expecting #1 5/27/03

emilyf
03-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Just a word to you both-everyone has said this, but it really does get a lot better. I found nursing very painful for about 3 weeks, after that it continued to be sore on and off, but now it doesn't hurt a bit, my LC said if it hurts when he first latches on, but not after a minute or two you are probably latched on correctly, and just have sensitive nipples. It's funny now to remember how intense that pain was, and now I don't even think about it. Hang in there!!!!

Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Andrea S
03-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Congrats on the weight gain. I am so happy things are getting better. Make a list as you go today of questions for the LC I know I was so tired when we saw the LC I would forget everything. I also kept a list for the ped of things that did not need immediate answers. Make sure you nap when Lauren does.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

mama2be
03-18-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm proud of you girls!!!!

Way to go Tammy and Lauren!!!!
Tammy you are doing super job!!!

Melanie
03-18-2003, 06:39 PM
>I've come to think of the first few days of a baby's life as a hazing ritual for new parents.

LOL!! You hit that one on the nose!

I should have mentioned, that like Gannon, my son slept beautifully DURING THE DAY! It took a while before he got his days and nights in line with ours...sort of. ;-)

Mommy to Jonah