PDA

View Full Version : Adoptive moms who have or are considering breast feeding

parentsin2003
03-18-2003, 10:42 PM
I am considering breastfeeding my adoptive baby. I've just been matched with the birth mom who is due on May 15th. I have spoken to a lactation consultant who tells me this is doable but wondering what the real world is like.

Can anyone help me?

Momof3Labs
03-18-2003, 11:40 PM
I just ran into a woman (on line) who has a 3 week old adopted daughter and is working on this. You might want to drop by www.inciid.org and check out their adoption boards - I bet you will find women who are doing this. Also, look for the breastfeeding board (in the parenting section) - that's where I ran into the woman, I think her post was dated Sunday.

I have also heard that it is doable - not a guarantee, but possible!

Good luck to you!!

mama2be
03-18-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't have any answers for you but just wanted to say welcome to the boards and congrats on the match with a birth mother...I hope you'll keep us all posted!!! I am very excited for you!!!

COElizabeth
03-19-2003, 12:41 AM
I don't know anyone personally who has done it but have heard about it for years. I think my aunt mentioned it to me when I was about 13 and observing everything about her BFing her twin girls. (Thank goodness for her example - I think it has helped me a lot!). Anyway, I think that maybe Dr. Sears' wife nursed some of their adopted children (don't quote me on this), so his book may have some info. And the Motherwear catalog had some mention of it, also. I think the owner of the company did it as well. I have also read that an adoptive mom may often be able to BF some but not be able to meet 100% of her baby's nutritional needs. She might, but she might need to supplement, so it's best if she goes into it willing to accept that possibility. You would need to take some hormones to help get things started, and I imagine your OB would have to be the one to prescribe them. You might ask your LC for a recommendation of a supportive OB/gyn if you don't get a helpful response from your own. That's about all I know, but I wish you the best and hope it works out for you. And congratulations on your match. How exciting to have your baby on the way - and coming soon!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
03-19-2003, 08:47 AM
There are several moms on the Mothering boards who are nursing their adopted babies. Check out the breastfeeding forum at www.mothering.com/discussions . Congratulations!!!!!!!!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
03-19-2003, 11:30 AM
I agree with others here that I've definitely heard this is doable! I think you're doing a wonderful thing by giving it a try!! You deserve a big pat on the back. :-) Congrats on your upcoming baby...we can't wait to hear more! Welcome to the boards and remember that we'll be here for support when your little one arrives!

juliasdad
03-19-2003, 01:44 PM
That's great! As everyone else said, best of luck and from what I've heard, it's very doable. I think a key is to try not to get too emotionally charged about success/failure in this endeavor. Give it your best shot with a warm, positive attitude and pursue all avenues of assistance, by all means... but if, for any reason, the results are less than your expectation (and this happens with many people, adoptive or not), know that it's ok, too.

-dan (adopted at 2 months, never nursed, and a very healthy adult with no medical problems or allergies and still very attached to his mom after 40 years)

Melanie
03-19-2003, 04:18 PM
I saw a woman do this on a Baby Story! I would definitely check out the breastfeeding forum at Mothering. I just wanted to reply to tell you that I think it's wonderful that you want to BF!!

Mommy to Jonah

daisymommy
03-20-2003, 04:34 PM
HOORRAAYY! I'm so excited that I came across this for you! Ireally hope it helps, because I think what you're striving for is wonderful!

www.fourfriends.com "The Adoptive Breastfeeding Resource Website"

Like many others have said though, even if you are unable to produce, or produce enough to fully sustain your new baby (as many adoptive mothers are not), know that your baby will still be so loved and well taken care of becasue they have a mommy who truly cares about them like you!

And yes, Martha Sears (wife of Dr. William Sears of "The Baby Book" breastfed their adoptive daughter, in conjunction with using an SNS device. You can read about it in the book.

Good Luck :)