PDA

View Full Version : Bottle help!

schuschein
03-22-2003, 12:51 PM
My DS is starting daycare in a couple weeks. Since he was a preemie, we've been bottle feeding him EBM from the very beginning (we had to supplement) in addition to breastfeeding. We've been using the small bottles that came with a breast pump a friend gave me (Ameda Purely Yours). Since that pump didn't work for me, I've been using the Avent Isis pump, and then pouring the EBM into the Ameda bottles since he takes the Nuk nipples really well. (Our LC recommended them & gave us a bunch. DS does great with them - we've never had any problems switching between breast and bottle).

So my question is, now that we are ready to graduate to larger bottles, which ones should I use? Also, what size bottles should I buy? 5oz, 8oz, 9oz. Do I start small and go up? or I should I just go ahead and buy the 8oz bottles? And if I need to send him with four bottles a day, how many bottles should I buy? We really want to keep using the Nuk nipples since he takes them so well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just feeling very overwhelmed by all of the choices that are out there!

Thanks!

Kyra :)
Mom to Avi Tzvi - 12/29/02

Zansu
03-24-2003, 01:01 PM
I know Nuk nipples will fit on Gerber bottles and I *think* on Evenflo. The caps will squish the Nuk nipples, but that doesn't cause any problems.

I have a dozen 5oz (I think they're 6oz when filled to the top) bottles from Gerber, as well as a dozen Medela bottles for my PIS. DS is 10 months old and we're still using the small bottles.

When he started at DC, I sent four 4oz bottles, and he always had frozen EBM in reserve. The trick is to only put as much in a bottle as DS is drinking at one sitting. Your DC may have a policy of never re-offering a bottle, and you don't want any EBM to go to waste.

HTH
Suzanne
W&P for Benjamin 5/1/02