PDA

View Full Version : Formula Feeder question...

StaceyKim
03-22-2003, 01:15 PM
I am planning to start my baby on the formula given at the hospital. Do hospitals give you a supply of formula to take home (I am delivering at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago)?
Should I find out what formula they use and stock up now or should I wait and see if it's a good formula for him?
I would like to use the pre-mixed bottles and I know you have to order these ahead of time.

nathansmom
03-22-2003, 01:19 PM
I was sent home with enough formula to last almost 3 weeks. They sent home the ready to serve nursettes. I'm sure each hospital is different and the reason I got so many might be because Nathan was in NICU. The nurse sent us home with alot of stuff. Also I live in Utah so I'm not sure how things are in other places.

jenmcadams
03-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Our hospital used both Similac and Enfamil...and while I was planning to BF, I did end up needing to supplement one night and they gave us a choice of what to use. As for sending us home with formula, we basically got sent home with what was in our room when we checked out. A few of the nurses would tuck stuff away when they came in and tell us to ask for more the next time, so that we could stock up when we left, but b/c I wasn't planning to use it much at home I didn't take advantage of it. You should start getting some samples in the mail pretty soon (although they'll mainly be powder). I wouldn't stock up too much on any one thing b/c you never know whether you might need to try a couple of formulas or change b/c of dietary problems

HTH

C99
03-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Northwestern Memorial uses Enfamil Lipil. I spent Nate's first 8 days trying to get them to STOP using it and let me BF (he was in the Special Care Nursery), so I have no idea if they'll give you some when you go home. I did get about 18 Enfamil sterilized water bottles (perfect for pumping) while I was there however.

They sent me home w/ a load of disposable diapers, wipes, nipples and "beaker" plastic bottles, though.

hth

beckyr88
03-22-2003, 11:38 PM
I delivered at Northwestern, and I got a box of 8 3oz. bottles of Enfamil Lipil--I am sure the nurses would have given me more if I'd asked--they encouraged me to take everything from the room except for the baby t-shirts!!

I am bf-ing and don't need the bottles, or the 4 canisters of powder formula that was sent to my apartment. Do you live in the city? I would be happy to pass these on to you if you like.

email me at [email protected] if you are interested!

Becky
mama to Stella 2-21-03