PDA

View Full Version : freezing EBM

chrissyhowie
03-22-2003, 06:40 PM
I read on an "ask the experts" column that it was not a good idea to freeze breast milk after it had been refrigerated for a few days. Does anyone know if that is that true? It was the first time I had ever seen or read that.

--Chrissy

Rachels
03-22-2003, 09:02 PM
I've heard that, too. I do notice that my milk goes bad much faster if I refrigerate it first before freezing.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
03-22-2003, 10:11 PM
It's actually okay to freeze breast milk after it has been refrigerated, but it won't keep in the freezer as long. Breastmilk spoils the fastest at room temp, then in the fridge, then in the freezer. The longer it is at room temp or in the fridge, the more on its way to spoiling it is (does that make sense?) so even though you slow down the spoiling process a lot by freezing it, it doesn't stop it completely.

chrissyhowie
03-23-2003, 02:16 PM
That makes sense. I was worried that I compromised most of the breast milk that I had frozen so far. Thank goodness I don't plan to store the milk in the freezer that long! I go back to work on Wednesday (so sad!) so I'm storing up for the first couple days until I get a rhythm going.

--Chrissy
Mom to Chloe (1/29/03)

Mom 2 Katya
03-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Here's a link to an article by an IBCLC about EBM storage. HTH!
http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/storagehandling.html

Dolly M

Mom to Katya, b. 1/29/03