PDA

View Full Version : Has any BF Mom had to have a test w/radioactive isotopes?

COElizabeth
03-24-2003, 01:17 PM
I'm still waiting to find out if I will need to take glaucoma medication (love those month-long waits for appointments while you are worrying about your eyes!), but in the meantime I have a new worry. My internist has ordered a bone scan to see if I have a stress fracture in my foot. My x-ray was normal, but I am still having pain after more than 3 months, so he wants to see if there is a fracture that hasn't shown up. The test requires injection of a radioactive isotope, and I have read advice ranging from "bone scans should not be performed on nursing women" to "stop nursing for 36 hours" to a note that some technetium scans do not require any cessation of nursing. The scheduler at the imaging facility said he thought I would be given technetium (sp.?). He told me to consult my doctor, which I am doing, and I also found an NRC table of recommendations on Dr. Thomas Hale's website, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had to have nuclear imaging done while BFing. It's kind of scary to me!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

nigele
03-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Elizabeth,

So sorry I can't offer any advice but I wanted to wish you luck on this. I can see why you are scared - it sounds frightening. I hope everything goes well and that you get the information you need. It can be really frustrating since there are so many differing opinions on what is safe when nursing. A lot of medical professionals will advise against nursing while being treated/medicated due to ignorance and or fear of a lawsuit. I ran into this myself as I take a daily drug for a neurological disorder and had to go through hell and back before deciding that I would breastfeed my baby since the majority of medical professionals I spoke to told me it would be safe.

Take care,

MinnieMouse
03-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Elizabeth,

First off a big hug...having all these tests done is stressful. I would go post this question on the Breastfeeding board over at parentsplace.com. There are a ton of very knowledgable women there and they may have come across this predicament.

HTH

Christine