PDA

View Full Version : Nursing clothes-How much for 3 months?

gatorgal99
03-24-2003, 11:00 PM
I plan on nursing my baby for the 3 months I'm on Maternity leave. I don't want to buy a ton of clothes, but from reading the different threads, it seems like the nursing bras & tops are a must for ease.

So for the expert moms, how many bras & tops should I purchase? Are there specific things I should look for when buying a bra or top? Where can I find some good deals?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
03-24-2003, 11:29 PM
If you are only nursing for 3 months, I'd skip the nursing clothes, personally. They are expensive and not worth it for such a short time.

I'd start with 2-3 nursing bras; you can always add more later. I did, just to get through a few more days without doing laundry, but I also plan to nurse for a year. www.breakoutbras.com has decent deals on nursing bras.

egoldber
03-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Nursing clothes seem to get very mixed reviews, people either seem to really like them or find them totally unnecessary. You may want to have one or two things, see if you like them and buy more if you really like them. but if you only plan to nurse for a few months, I wouldn't spend a lot (if anything) on nursing clothes.

HTH,

Karenn
03-25-2003, 02:53 AM
Nursing tops weren't a "must" for me. I've managed for 9 months without them. :) As far as bras go, I have liked having nursing bras. You can get inexpensive ones at Target. They're not the best quality, but for just three months, it might not make much of a difference. Features that were important to me in nursing bras were: Fit, Comfort and One-Hand Fastening (this last one certainly isn't a necessity though.)

AngelaS
03-25-2003, 08:04 AM
I nursed my first dd for 19months and dd 2 is now 10.5 months. I have yet to purchase any nursing shirts or dresses. LOL

I do own about 5 nursing bras tho. :) I've found good prices on nursing bras at the Playtex outlet and at Kohls and Penneys.

MinnieMouse
03-25-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm still nursing dd at 20mo and I only had the nursing nightgowns..which were a total waste of $$$. A roomy shirt was all I needed to nurse dd. Worked wonderfully.

As for nursing bras, I use Playtex Expectant Moments "underwire alternative." I went from a 38C pre-pregnancy to a 42DD by the end of my first trimester. So I started using the nursing bras then. I have a total of 5 that I got over time and these bras work great. You can find them in "smaller" sizes (than mine) at Walmart but Sears and JCPenneys also carry them...Walmart is cheaper though. It's important to not get an underwire bra since it makes you more prone to clogged ducts and infection...not in every case, but more likely.

HTH

Christine

parkersmama
03-25-2003, 12:00 PM
I agree with everyone else...nursing clothes are not necessary. Especially if you don't plan to nurse for more than 3 months. Heck, I think it took me 3 months to figure out how to work some of the ones I've had! LOL! Nursing bras are definitely a must unless you are extremely small chested. Some women do just wear a regular bra and pull it out of the way to nurse. I am large-breasted and that would never, ever work for me. It is also helpful to have a "sleep bra" for those first weeks. Most women find they need to wear a bra and nursing pads around the clock until milk production regulates a little. Having a bra that is a little less supportive but will hold the pads in place is good for sleeping comfortably. Also, make sure that you have some pjs that are 2 pieces. If you don't buy nursing gowns (I recommend that you don't...they are horrible!), you'll need to be able to lift whatever sleepwear you're wearing from the waist to nurse during the night. I just ordered some nursing bras from www.breastisbest.com and 2 of them came yesterday. They fit wonderfully and were very comfy. This site has lots of info to help you choose the best bra for you. I ended up calling to get help and the woman was extremely helpful and knowledgable about the products and very tolerant of me having to deal with my 2 young children while we were on the phone. :-) Also, she has free shipping. I have also ordered bras from www.motherwear.com that fit nicely. Good luck!

C99
03-25-2003, 12:37 PM
I have 5 nursing bras and they aren't enough. I have zero nursing tops and have never missed them. I think how much you will need really depends on how much you plan to leave the house, whether you're comfortable going bra-less at home, and how often you can get to laundry.

jenmcadams
03-25-2003, 12:56 PM
I agree with all of the above posts about nursing clothes...I think I had one top and never wore it. As for nursing bras, I think it very much depends on your size, what you should look for. I'm pretty small chested, so for me, I prefer soft cup comfy nursing bras. I have four and that seems to be enough...although I was doing tons of laundry for the 1st month or two when I was leaking a lot. The ones I've used were a little pricey...the brand name is Bravado and I think some people call the one I use a sleeping bra...they were about $30 each and have held up ok.

HTH

gatorgal99
03-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks everybody for the great advice. I'm not going to buy any special tops or PJ's. I'll just use what I have and purchase a few nursing bras.