PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used Fenugreek?

kclm
03-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Hello,

Has anyone used Fenugreek to increase milk supply? I've been told it's excellent, and I'm inclined to try it to get more when pumping, but I hesitate to take unregulated herbal supplements. Is it safe? Does it actually work? How much should I take? I have capsules of 610 mg each--how many a day do I take? Thanks in advance!

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

C99
03-27-2003, 08:15 PM
I've taken it. It definitely works and I can't think why it wouldn't be safe. I took 3 caplets/day, but my LC told me to take 3 caplets 3x day. here's some info: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/fenugreek.shtml

Rachels
03-27-2003, 09:48 PM
Me too. It works! Check www.drjaygordon.com for more info on increasing your supply.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
03-28-2003, 12:01 PM
I have used it with limited success. When I was pumping constantly and felt like I needed to increase supply, I tried Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and oatmeal, all with a small measure of increase. Honestly, I'm not sure that they really did that much for me but many people swear by herbal substances. The things that worked best to increase my supply were: increased feedings over weekends which upped the supply & demand curve, more nighttime feedings (I don't know why this works but it always made me have more milk in the daytime), more pumping (add 10-15 min of pumping after several feedings each day...you'll get no milk in the beginning but start getting some in the next day or two), drinking more water/less caffiene, and getting more rest. If you want to try the fenugreek, though, it certainly won't hurt. Oh, and be ready for the funny smell...it makes your pee and perspiration smell like maple syrup! :-) Good luck!