PDA

View Full Version : Why does he choke while I BF him?

natividad
03-28-2003, 04:39 PM
It really scared me the first time it happened, but it has been happening more lately - he begins to BF an then he starts to choke and cough :-( What I do is to sit him up a bit and burp/pat his back. What am I doing wrong? Perhaps he is taking too much milk in too fast? Please help.

Naty
Mom to Alexander 2/26/03

etwahl
03-28-2003, 04:55 PM
This has been happening to me lately too. Mostly just on the right side though. She has a preference for the left side right now I think. I think it could be the positioning. She seems to fight me on the right side, so I think she's getting more air in because of the fighting. She just doesn't seem comfortable on the right side. It's actually a challenge every time I nurse on that side, which I hate!!!

She also seems to get mad when she's on that side, and will pull away, but when I take her onto my shoulder to burp her she gets upset also and seems to want to continue nursing. It is becoming a vicious little cycle.

Tammy,
mommy to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

brubeck
03-28-2003, 05:55 PM
If she really hates that side, could you exclusively nurse on the left and then pump on the right? Try it for a few days and then put her on the right again to see if it improves.

COElizabeth
03-28-2003, 06:22 PM
James did the same thing, and I think it was milk coming out too fast. You could try pumping a bit first so the flow has eased up a bit when he nurses. I didn't really do anything most of the time (except sitting him up when he started to cough a lot and pulled off), and he stopped coughing after a month or so. He must have learned to cope with the letdown better, or maybe it got slower. In any case, it sounds like you are doing the right thing, and I am sure it will stop eventually.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
03-28-2003, 07:16 PM
It does sound like overactive letdown. Try pumping for a few minutes first, or feeding on the other side first. Sometimes babies deal with fast letdown better when they're less ravenous. The LLL website also has suggestions. He'll get used to it and it will get easier!
-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

natividad
03-28-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks Elizabeth for the advice and re-assurance.

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/2003

natividad
03-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks Rachel! I looked at the LLL website. I am also attending the meetings they have locally -- thought I would give them a try to see how I like them.

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/2003