PDA

View Full Version : Isis pump enough for stay home mom?

Xariklia
03-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Is the isis breast pump enough if i am a stay home mom? or do i also need electical? Also, i plan on using the avent bottles, is that ok?

COElizabeth
03-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Many people find the Isis to be perfect for their needs if they are staying at home, so if that is the one that appeals to you, I would try it. As for bottles, you will have to see which work for your baby, but many breast-fed babies do great with Avent, so that's a fine choice to start, too!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

August Mom
03-30-2003, 01:14 AM
I think that it depends how often you plan to offer a bottle. I am a SAHM and have an Isis. It has worked fine for me. However, I wouldn't want to pump with it all the time. It takes about 30 minutes for me to pump a 4 oz. bottle. Also, I have found that to get an entire bottle, I need to pump first thing in the morning. I let DS nurse on one breast and then pump the other. Now of course this could have to do with me, but I'm sure a super duper electric pump would be more efficient and better at pumping.

As far as bottles go, I would start with Avent. You'll need those for your pump anyway if you go with the Isis. Don't buy too many bottles and accessories until you find out which brand your baby likes. It may or may not be Avent. Dr. Browns wide mouth is another popular choice.

Also, as a SAHM with a DS who refuses all bottles, I would say you should introduce a bottle several times a week for a few weeks starting out and give at least one bottle a week after that. DS took a couple of bottles early on. Then we took a month or so off and he never took another bottle again. Good luck.

beckyr88
03-30-2003, 03:55 AM
I just wanted to add that I use the Isis too (and am a SAHM). I try to pump at least a few ounces every other day or so (so that DH can get up with DD at least once in a while!), and it works well.

Although I'd like to have an electrical pump :) I don't think I could justify the cost.... I'd wait to see how much you end up pumping!

And DD likes the Avent bottles (admittedly all she's used)--she gets right down to business and finishes 4 oz. in no time flat--no fuss, no muss--she won't even let DH cuddle her while eating!!

Hope that helps.

nigele
03-30-2003, 11:29 AM
I have an Isis and would agree that it is fine for a SAHM if you do not pump more than once or twice a day. We also bought Avent bottles before Tom was born and he never really liked them. We had to go out after he was born and try four or five different brands. I finally gave up and to this day, he doesn't take a bottle. (I wasted so much money!) Don't invest in one kind of bottle until you see what your baby will take.