PDA

View Full Version : Avent vs Dr. Browns (wide opening Model)

1st Time Mommy
03-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Which do you prefer? Dr. Browns has a new bottle on www.babycatalog.com that has the wide opening like the Avent.

mama2be
03-31-2003, 10:10 AM
I'veonly used the DR Brown's and I love them (though don't know what to compare them too)...I have no problem with spit ups etc...

That said there was a post when I first came on the boards months ago and I noticed a trend where it APPEARED bottle fed babies liked DR Browns and breast fed babies liked Avent (I think it was due to the nipple). Again this is a trend that I noticed in reading the posts as I read thru them.

Folks have complained about...

Cleaning the DR Brown's- Neither my DH or I mind cleaning them infact it is the only routine that I have down these days, I find we both grab the bottles to clean them in all honesty as if we feel "organized" doing them.

Cost-I don't mind the cost for 10 or so bottles that I will use this often, I registered for them and Jmaried on the borads was kind to send me two she had and didn't use.

Dripping-In the 5 weeks we have used them we got our second dripping this morning. We have found in our case it is when the edge of the nipple ring is not flush with the plastic on the lid. So preventable in our case.

I thank the bottles for not causing him to spit up (Tristan has only been changed once because of spillage on his clothes from spit up, the bottle etc... and that was this morning)

Hope that helps!!!

westgre
03-31-2003, 11:02 AM
I breast fed for the first six weeks. I tried both the Avent and Dr. Brown's. Although she took the Avent bottle, she screamed almost all day with gas problems. The only bottle she didn't scream all day with was the Dr. Brown's. Cleaning them isn't that big a deal considering the benefit you get out of them. As for cost, I have seen used ones on e-bay -- just buy new nipples and sterilize everything before use. Or if you order directly from the company, they are cheaper than I've found in stores and they don't charge shipping. www.handi-craft.com.

zen_bliss
03-31-2003, 02:50 PM
i stocked up on the dr. brown's widemouth from www.kidsurplus.com -- best prices i've seen, $4.99 each or $13.99 for a 3-pack, and reasonable shipping.

they are also available at drugstore.com if you've got some smashing coupons to use.

some, but not all, babies r us stock them.

sntm
03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
found dr. brown's widemouth at baby depot for $4.49 about 2 months ago, and i don't think it was a sale price. might check there too. the nipple shape is very similar to avent and the technology is simply brilliant. (having said that, haven't tried them on a real baby yet!)

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

mama2be
03-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Someone else posted this in the Lounge but my Eckerds dosen't carry Dr Browns...and the one up the street only had the non wide mouthed...but others bottles were there too...

This week only!!!

houseof3boys
07-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Our Target also has the Dr. Browns for $4.99.

Check Ebay though because there have been some great deals on the Dr. Browns and the Avent.

liya
07-08-2003, 04:03 PM
I have some up for grabs they are wide necks and i have 3 4oz ones ans 8 oz ones..My son used them for the first 3 months..If your interested...Email me...I loved them but i really cant afford them so im getting him used to cheaper versions with silicone nipples...(sigh) long story...