PDA

View Full Version : Finding an LC before birth?

MartiesMom2B
04-01-2003, 07:41 PM
I'm taking your advice to read my BFing books before Martie comes. I'm wondering if I should try to find an LC now, just in case I'll need extra help. What are you supposed to look for? How much does a fee usually run, I'm sure whatever it is it's worth it.

My hospital will have LCs there, but I don't know how much time they will spend with you or how many times they will visit you while I'm at the hospital.

Any other suggestions for things for me to do regarding BFing before Martie comes? I'm determined to BF. For me it seems easier and I don't think that my budget can allow formula feeding.

TIA!

Sonia
EDD 4/14/03

Zansu
04-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Sonia,

Here's my experience: I saw the LC twice at the hospital. The first time was to make sure DS was latching on and swallowing. The second was to check on us, and to correct my posture. :)

I also had to attend a pre-discharge class that was run by the LC but covered a variety of topics.

When I needed the LC after 8 months of BF, I called all four hospitals in my area. One had no LCs (the teaching hospital, no less!); one only saw inpatients; one charged $40/hr with appointments required; and the hospital at which I delivered charged $35/hr for women who had not delivered there, and saw people on a drop-in basis.

My only advice is to make sure you have Lansinoh on hand (it's better than Medela's PureLan b/c the tube has a fliptop) and make sure DH knows where the breastfeedin supplies are at your baby store/BRU/Target.

HTH!
Suzanne
W&P for Benjamin 5/1/02

Rachels
04-01-2003, 10:59 PM
Definitely find an LC beforehand! The hospital ones can be sketchy, and it makes an absolutely enormous difference to have one come to your house. I had somebody come twice to help me figure out things like how to nurse lying down in my bed and how many pillows I needed in my favorite chair. It was worth every dime and then some. To begin with, check http://www.lalecheleague.org/ to find an LC near you, then call that person and ask if they know anyone who does home visits. You can also get help finding an LC if you post to the breastfeeding forum at www.mothering.com/discussions . HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

stillplayswithbarbies
04-02-2003, 05:39 PM
If you attend a breastfeeding class, chances are it will be taught by an LC and then you have her as a possible resource if you have questions later.

Most hospitals and birthing centers offer breastfeeding classes. I can't imagine doing this without taking a class first.

Also, find your local La Leche League and go to at least one meeting before your baby is born.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mcmorfit
04-02-2003, 06:41 PM
I second what has been mentioned and would like to add attending a La Leche League meeting before giving birth. I found that the more names and numbers I had on hand before giving birth, the more it helped once DD arrived. As well, our county provided a free home visit from the county nurse after DD's arrival. Luckily she was a LC, taught our child birth classes and LOVES DD, so she actually came over four times. So possibly check that out or move to Putnam County, New York (that was a joke).

Good Luck!