PDA

View Full Version : Usefulness of Boppy

Ackapoo
04-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on the Boppy. I hear from some moms that it is really nice and comfy and gets used a lot. Other moms think it's so stupid and a real waste of money. Does it help get baby into a more comfy position for nursing? Should you just forget about it? Thanks

beckyr88
04-02-2003, 02:16 AM
I only use it in bed--but I have to be sitting fully upright for it to fit. The benefit is that if I fall asleep, I feel confident that DD won't fall out of my arms (I have lots of kinks in my neck from sleeping while fully upright!!). It IS comfy to use, but it is one more thing to have to do when DD wants to eat. It is also good for when DD is having one of those "high-need" times and wants to nurse for 3 hours....

I would suggest getting one, you may really like it.

Hope that helps!

Rachels
04-02-2003, 08:38 AM
My LC hated the Boppy for nursing, and I found it easier at first to just use regular pillows. But the boppy was good for holding when my arms ached, and then as a propping devicce when Abigail was learning to sit up.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

LucyG
04-02-2003, 09:51 AM
I've found it very useful. It keeps me from hunching my shoulders over while nursing. I have also heard many people say they use it to prop the baby up for supervised tummy time, and as an aid when the baby learns to sit up.

Momof3Labs
04-02-2003, 09:55 AM
I found the My Brest Friend pillow much more useful for nursing because it is flat (Boppy is rounded). Plus, the MBF was more adjustable to fit a variety of sizes of women.

The Boppy has been fine for playing and sitting practice, but not a requirement. We got a good deal on one, though, so we made a point of using it some.

newmomnyc
04-02-2003, 10:17 AM
I love the My Brest Friend pillow.... However, that velcro is LOUD. When DD is all rested and happy from nursing, it's impossible to take the pillow off without waking up the neighborhood. I'm experimenting with securing the pillow so that the velcro doesn't get used entirely (kind of hard to explain). Does anyone else have this problem?

Karenn
04-02-2003, 10:45 AM
I used it to sit on after my episiotomy, but I never used it to nurse. :) It just wasn't comfortable for me. I didn't even use pillows to position him, so I think it might just depend on the person. I got mine as a hand me down from a friend and thought that was a good way to go- I had one on hand, but didn't have to worry about spending the money on something I didn't use.

August Mom
04-02-2003, 11:25 AM
We started out with the My Brest Friend and DS just didn't like it. Actually, I didn't like the padding in the back either because I felt it made me sit forward or that I needed another regular pillow behind my back. The velcro IS very loud BTW. Then we got a Boppy and it was great. It supported DS well and really helped us with positioning for latching on in the early days. I liked it so much, I got another, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. Now, I only use the Boppy for nursing at night and when trimming DS's nails. However, it was well worth the price. DS also used it for tummy time and as a cushion when first learning to sit. I highly recommend the Boppy.

BTW, you can sometimes find great deals on these at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

addiemae
04-02-2003, 11:26 AM
I love my Boppy!
I got the plush one with the removable/washable cover.
I use it while nursing in my glider, all the time. My husband uses it in the glider when he gives Em a bottle at bedtime. I just started propping her up in the boppy, so there are other uses for it when she outgrows it nursing. I would say I have already got my moneys worth in 3 months.
Pillows are just as good too. I use those downstairs on the couches when nursing and they work just fine.
Emily's Mommy,
Annie

charp2000
04-02-2003, 02:44 PM
I love mine and don't think I could live without it!!!!
I use it while nursing on the couch (use a couple little pillows to prop up one side) with my now 1 year old. I've always found it great for using on the couch - since using it allows me to have my hands free to read something or eat my breakfast.
It never worked well to use in the glider - probably cause it's too narrow - I just stuffed a little travel pillow under one elbow and that worked well. This way I keep the Boppy downstairs and don't need to haul it around.

We did use it a little when ds was just learning to sit up as well.

egoldber
04-02-2003, 03:10 PM
FYI, many Marshall's stores have the Boppy now at good prices.

HTH,

mcmorfit
04-02-2003, 03:14 PM
I've only started to use the Boppy in my rocking chair to nurse becasue it fits perfectly. I got mine at Marshall's on clearance for $11. As well I have a Fisher Price Boppy/activity center that I got at a consignment shop for $10, but I haven't used that yet.

HTH

parkersmama
04-02-2003, 05:35 PM
I've used mine both times around and really loved it. I've never tried the MBF, though. With my first child it seemed like we used the Boppy forever but the second time around I got comfortable nursing just holding him a lot sooner and quit using it. We used it for both kids for propping, etc. My first one was one of the originals with no removable cover and it was pretty faded and yucky so I recently got a new one with a plusher, removable cover for our new baby. I can't wait to use it!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-02-2003, 05:35 PM
I love the Boppy! I use it for nursing, and for after nursing when she falls asleep and wants to just sleep with her head laying on my breast. Daddy and big brother use it to hold her too.

I tried the My Brest Friend and didn't like it. It's hard, not soft and snuggly like the Boppy.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03