PDA

View Full Version : How Much Does a Baby Nurse at 9 Months?

kclm
04-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Hello,

I have been offered a part-time job to begin when DS will have just turned 9 months old. It's a great job and I am seriously considering it, but one concern I have is that I'd like to bf DS until a year, but I have had very little success pumping. The job would be either only in the mornings or only in the afternoons. At 9 months, how much nursing goes on relative to solid foods? Are babies typically only nursing mornings and nights at that age? Would it be feasible to take the job if solid food could be given during my absence? Or if I could pump enough to get one bottle per day? Any information would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

Rachels
04-05-2003, 03:20 PM
It depends on the baby, I think. Abigail still nursed fairly often at nine months, but not necessarily for big meals. She likes to nurse down for naps, etc., so that would have been the hard thing for me. Either way, you're probably only talking about one feeding, and that shouldn't interrupt your breastfeeding relationship. I would try pumping EVERY day starting now so that your body gets used to it and increases your supply accordingly. What kind of pump do you have?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

lukkykatt
04-05-2003, 05:44 PM
DS is 9 months and nurses 5 times a day - before each meal, and then right before his naps. All babies are different, but I think that is a pretty typical schedule at that age. I think it would be very realistic to take the job if you could pump enough milk for one feeding. If you are not pumping enough at one time to make up for the missed feeding, then maybe you could pick a second time of the day to pump again. Or as a last resort you could give formula at just that one missed feeding.

Do you have a double electric pump? A lot of times a better pump makes the difference.

HTH!