PDA

View Full Version : life was good last night...

etwahl
04-05-2003, 08:54 PM
Made a couple changes last night to our sleeping/nursing routine and it went really well. I hope it wasn't a one-time thing!

1. Bought the homedics white noise machine from Target - amazing. I initially had it on for 30 minutes, but when it went off, I woke up and was disappointed. I then turned it on continuously and slept MUCH better. Not only did it provide the white noise for Lauren (and me) but I couldn't hear her every little move and noise which allowed me to sleep more peacefully (we're co-sleeping).

2. I tried nursing while lying down again (thanks to Lori for the pics and Rachel for the reminder to try again). It worked great and I found myself falling asleep during it. That panicked me a little when I woke up, because Lauren was also asleep beside me, but I think that I would be aware enough not to roll over on her while nursing. At least I like to hope so.

3. Introduced the pacifier. This little girl is a sucker...and I discovered that she was getting REALLY mad when she wanted to suck but wasn't hungry and I offered her the breast. So she would get mad, pull back, and cry. I had been giving her my pinky finger for the last couple nights, but that was hard, because I had to be in a position that would make it comfortable and also because I wanted to sleep. Well now she LOVES the pacifier. I probably have created a monster, but she is a sucker, so why fight it. The only problem is she seems to want it A LOT now, but she doesn't cry nearly as much, because I can figure out what she wants now. I check if she's hungry, diaper, and burped (although she's not a good burper) and if she still wants to suck, try the pacifier and it calms her down immediately.

So anyway, that's my story and I hope it continues the same way tonight!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Rachels
04-05-2003, 11:23 PM
Yay! Glad you figured out sidelying nursing. That will help tremendously. As for the pacifier-- whatever works, do! I promise she won't take it to college.
-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
04-05-2003, 11:26 PM
I hope you're onto a new trend here!

I can't count the number of times I fell asleep while night-nursing. Never did roll on her, so I'm pretty sure you won't either.

DD went through an intensive phase of pacifier use between 6 weeks and 8 months... and then lost interest and stopped using it on her own. (I missed a major photo op when the cat found the discarded pacifier and started sucking on it.) So you haven't necessarily "created a monster"! And even if you do find yourself negotiating with a toddler to give up the pacifier some day down the road (as my parents had to with me), you will be a WELL-RESTED mother negotiating!!! As my Dad is fond of saying, "the number one rule of parenting is survival of the parent!"

Good luck for tonight!

KathyO

sweetbasil
04-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Good for you, Tammy. Hope you girls have a very restful night tonight, and for many more nights to come!

mcmorfit
04-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Tammy,

Yippee! Glad to hear things went well and hope last night did too. We have a co-sleeper and as soon as I figured out the lying down position, it was a better night for both of us.

Three cheers for sleep!

COElizabeth
04-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Great news! I'm so glad you figured out why she was crying when you tried to nurse her. Good work! I hope the new pattern keeps up!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

parkersmama
04-07-2003, 11:59 AM
That's great news!! I'm glad things are getting smoother for you. :-)

etwahl
04-07-2003, 12:21 PM
We've now had 3 good nights in a row. I think we're in a pattern. I change her diaper every second time we feed (unless she poops) and I change her just BEFORE nursing. It's working well. We both go right back to sleep afterwards. I'm actually feeling rested these days. Yay!

Still have to learn to make her happier during the day though :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

nigele
04-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Sounds like a winner! My advice is forget about creating a monster with the pacifier - if it works, go for it! I didn't give it to Thomas early enough so he never took to it and there were plenty of times (and still are) when I wish he would take one.

Glad things are continuing to improve!

mamahill
04-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Wonderful! I also changed Ainsleigh before feedings, and only after (or during) if she pooped. Otherwise, I figure if she's asleep, why wake her! It's amazing what a little sleep will do for your emotional state! And that's WONDERFUL that Lauren takes the pacifier - that means YOU don't become the pacifier - yay! Here's to more restful nights ahead...

atlbaby
04-07-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm so happy things are going well for you both, AND that you are feeling a bit rested!! Isn't it amazing what a little sleep can do? And I agree with what others have said about the pacifier--it allows you to have a break when she doesn't want to eat but wants to suck!

Hoping you have more nights like these!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
#2:) EDD 10/24/03

sparkeze
04-08-2003, 01:02 AM
That is wonderful news!

Wait until she can find the pacifier by herself and go back to sleep without waking you up! :) We leave one on the bed above DS's head so that he can use it if he wants. And these days I'm not even sure how frequently he wakes to nurse during the night! All I know is that I'm not engorged in the morning. Sleep does wonders, doesn't it?

etwahl
04-08-2003, 11:09 AM
wow, at what age did that happen?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

parkersmama
04-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Woohoo! Great news!

Okay...calculating...I have 1 to 3 weeks of no sleep due to pregnancy discomfort and then about 4 weeks after that before the baby gets regulated and we can sleep a little more. UGH. Will I survive?!? I know that I will since I've done it before but I've also never been this uncomfortable before at the end of the pregnancy. This little girl wants to be sure that she's making her presence known even now! LOL!