PDA

View Full Version : More Nursing Questions...

etwahl
04-06-2003, 02:11 PM
1. While doing side-lying nursing at night, and you fall asleep, do you worry about not having burped your baby?

2. Do you always change the diaper before nursing at night like this? What if you forget and you fall asleep? That has happened to me a couple times and then I feel bad that she has had a wet diaper on for longer than normal. She hasn't been pooping at night lately, so it would just be wet. Just wondering what others experiences have been.

3. Do you think a baby who only nurses 5 minutes on one side is getting enough? She does this quite frequently lately and then seems satisfied for two hours. My friend says Lauren is just a "good" nurser.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

twins r fun
04-06-2003, 02:44 PM
The only one I can help you with is the diaper. I say don't worry if you don't change it. Once she starts sleeping through the night (or at least for longer chunks), she'll be wearing the same diaper all night. It's not like you are going to wake a sleeping baby to change her! I remember complaining to a NICU nurse once we had Jacob home and Caleb still in the hospital that I thought he would happily go back to sleep after eating if I didn't have to wake him up so much during a diaper change. She about laughed me out of the room saying "Don't change his diaper in the middle of the night! We only do that here becasue we don't mind if they stay awake!" I think that was about the last time I changed a nighttime diaper that was just wet (unless it was truly soaking or leaking, of course).

And I'm so happy to hear you guys are doing better!

Nicole

colleenfs
04-06-2003, 03:16 PM
1) If she seems content, then I wouldn't worry about burping her. This position is probably very relaxing to her. Also, you shouldn't worry too much about rolling over her in your sleep. As a mother, your body is very aware of hers, and there seems to be some sort of "mommy radar" that knows she is there. Dads, however, don't have this, so be do careful with him.

2) Don't worry about changing the diaper unless she seems to be very wet or soiled. There's no point in waking her if she is asleep.

3) Could be that she's caught on well and is just an efficient sucker. You'll know when she has her weight checked. Lauren will let you know if she's hungry, I'm sure!

Sounds like you're doing really well. Congratulations! I hope you get some extended sleep at night now!

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02 (who just weaned herself last night...sigh)

COElizabeth
04-06-2003, 03:28 PM
I don't nurse side-lying so can't speak to that, though my experience is that if James doesn't burp and needs to, he will wake up crying a short time later. If Lauren doesn't do that, I wouldn't worry. I also agree wtih others on the diaper changing. And yes, some babies can get all they need in 5 minutes on one side. That has been James usual pattern pretty much ever since my milk came in.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

etwahl
04-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Glad to hear that these things are all normal and that I'm not doing a bad job :) And also glad to hear that the 5 minute nursings can also be enough. Sometimes she goes longer, but lately not. That will make nursing "outside the home" much easier!!

Thanks everyone.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

mcmorfit
04-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Tammy,

I agree with all the other posters about not burping and the diapering. I used to do both at night and our 10 minute nursing session turned into an hour until she went back to sleep because she was awake from all the activity. For the last three nights I have just put her to breast and then she nods off. So far so good. My doula has said that it takes infants three days to form a habit - let's hope tonight proves true!

spu
04-06-2003, 07:07 PM
we started off changing the diapers first before each and every feeding, and attempting to burp (which sometimes didn't happen until an hour later when they'd be back in their cribs and burp with substance!). Once Else started sleeping longer, we didn't wake her to feed or change her. Now, I nurse them at night only when they wake and only change their diapers if they're really squishy or if they are poopy. They can nurse while half asleep so waking them with a diaper change isn't really necessary anymore.

For a 5 minute session, that's fine if that's what your baby needs at the time. they seem to know best - even better than us! at what they want and need. Sometimes it's just a little drink, sometimes it's a full course meal. Sometimes, it's just a salad - and maybe some icecream a little while later... (this was how my LLL described the different patterns to me - and basically everything is fine if we have healthy thriving babies and learn to trust them).

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

bnme
04-06-2003, 07:56 PM
1 I didn't nurse side-lying and DS is now 100% bottle fed, but I almost never burp at night and it doesn't seem to be a problem. I think he nurses more efficiently at night and is less likely to swallow air anyway. I did burp for night feedings for maybe the first four weeks.

2 I only change poppy or very wet diapers at night. Again, probably the first four weeks I changed the diaper at night, too. But it was becuase he was popping more often. The diaper seems to keep their skin pretty dry, and like others mentioned if they were sleeping through the night you wouldn't wake them to change them. I don't like to risk him "waking-up" too much due to a diaper change--he loves being changed and gets so excited whenever I place him on the changing table!

3 My DS only nursed for 5 to 10 minutes every 2 to 3 hours, too. As long as their gaining and aren't complaining that they are hungry, they must be getting enough!