PDA

View Full Version : Exclusively BFing and spotting 4 1/2 months pp

lisams
04-07-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm a little worried. I bf my baby exclusively (no bottles, no pumping, no pacifier- all she wants is the boob ;-) ) This morning I have been spotting and this worries and saddens me. Is it normal to spot (4 1/2 months pp) while bfing or could this be the return of my period? I feel so sad because it feels like my body is now changing back to before baby time. I don't know why this is bothering me so much. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Lisa

Rachels
04-07-2003, 02:36 PM
It is probably your period. There's no guarantee of how long it will take to return after you give birth. I understand your sadness, though. Mine hasn't started, but I'm dreading it. It makes me feel like my body will be done with providing for my baby. Keep nursing, though, and use that to remind you that your body is still very much in caring-for-baby mode!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Momof3Labs
04-07-2003, 02:49 PM
And even if it is your period, it is very possible that you will see it once and then not see it again for a long time - it is common for periods to be irregular when you are BF'ing.

Mine isn't back yet, either, but I think that I would also be sad. Hang in there - you will survive this, too!

sweetbasil
04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Lisa,
Could be...mine came back around 5 1/2 months pp, but my poor mom's was like 3 mo. pp or something. Maybe if it was just a one-time occurrence, it'll be light and irregular? I was sad when mine came back too, but after a while I just tried to think of it as my body getting healthy and geared back up to get pregnant again. We waited 2 years to try again, but at least a regular cycle had started back up so we knew when it was "time"! Good luck, either way :)

sparkeze
04-08-2003, 01:23 AM
I know a mom who's periods came back within a month of giving birth for all 3 of her kids!

I think 4 1/2 months is within the normal range, but you never know. I've heard that some moms get what they think is a period but since it didn't return for several months it was actually something else (I can't remember exactly, but it has something to do with post-pregnancy, nothing serious).

newbelly2002
04-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Mine returned about 4 mths pp, but then dissapeared again.I'm now 8 months out and nothing since. Since we had just moved at teh time and everything was in choas (and DS would sleep for hours at length in the Baby Bjorn), I've wondered if my body misinterpreted some of the missed feedings.

Interesting to hear everyone's take on the emotional aspect of it. I had never really thought about it to be honest. The weaning that seems--short and infrequent feedings--to be in progress (DS's choice not mine) is another story entirely.

Paula,Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467

nigele
04-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Lisa,

Don't despair just yet! I got a "period" for one week at 3 months but have had none since (at 9 months.) It made me sad when it happened, so I know how you feel. I called my OB when it happened and they said it was perfectly normal and was not necessarily a period. Hang in there!

emilyf
04-08-2003, 09:53 AM
I too had some spotting last week (also 4 1/2 months and bfing) it lasted about a day, and was pretty light. I'm not sure if it was a period or not, but it made me realize I need to be pretty careful about birth control, yikes!
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

lisams
04-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Thank you all for your support and comforting words!! It really made me feel better, and not so wierd about getting emotional about this! I'm still just spotting, so I don't know if it really is a period but I guess it's time to think about birth control :-(!

Thanks again!!
Lisa :-)