PDA

View Full Version : bra questions

cecsheets
04-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Normally, I wear a 34 D or DD on the smallest setting. Well, my chest has grown ALOT w/ this pregnancy and, as much as I hate to spend the money, I HAVE to get some new bras. I'm every bit a 36 DD now. Here are my questions --

What's after DD -- DDD, E, F?

I'm 30 weeks. Is it to early to buy nursing bras so I don't have to spend more $$ later?

If I buy nursing bras now should I get my current size 36DD or go up a size?

Why shouldn't you wear underwires when breastfeeding?

Thanks for your help! Christine edd 6/23/03

parkersmama
04-12-2003, 10:33 AM
It's very hard to say whether it's too early to get nursing bras or not. You will probably grow some more and most of the time it's recommended that you buy nursing bras to fit your 8-9 month pregnant size. Because I've been pregnant and nursed before, I know my body well enough to know that my ribcage expands while I'm pregnant to accomodate the baby but goes back down after birth. Therefore, I can wear my original band size but not my original cup size (sorry, that part doesn't go away at first!). If you want to buy nursing bras for now, I'd recommend getting just one or two. That way you can try them out to see what you like as well as not having too many in case you later need a bigger size. You'll probably have to have at least one bigger bra to accomodate the engorgement phase after the baby arrives. As for underwires, they are okay to use when nursing as long as the wire part that goes on the outside of the breast is *behind* the breast tissue so that it doesn't compress any milk ducts. A great website for bras and fitting info is www.breastisbest.com They are very helpful and have great information on fit, sytles, etc. HTH!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-12-2003, 12:12 PM
I just got experience with that expanding ribcage thing. I got my nursing bra when I was 39 weeks pregnant and I was measuring 40 under the breasts. Now, at 2 weeks post partum, I am measuring 36. (I used to be 38 before pregnancy). Fortunately the place I got my bra will alter it for me, (www.decentexposures,com)

My cup size went from DD to H.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

RiaHannam
04-12-2003, 05:11 PM
I am also a 34DD before pregnancy. Currently I am a 36DD but bought a nursing bra in 34F that fits well now. My guess is that nursing I'll be a 34G (based on my last 3 pregnancies). Your rib cage is expanded now but will go down after you deliver. A good trick is to still get the 34 but get a bra extender to make the ribcage area larger till the end of the pregnancy - that way you can wear the same bra after you have the baby.
Not sure if you'll be a G also - everyone is so different! Also I used underwire nursing bras fine with no problems - it just needs to fit well. There are a ton of bras out there with no underwires that will work too. I found bras online at www.breakoutbras.com and www.birthandbaby.com in my size. Try browsing there.

Maria
EDD 5/9

cara1
04-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Regarding underwires, I just found them horribly uncomfortable. Especially when I was tender and engorged, or just "large" because DS was due for a feeding. Then again, before pregnancy, I was a little A, and never ever wore underwires before, so wasn't really used to it.

parkersmama
04-13-2003, 01:42 PM
I forgot to answer your other question before:

I *think* that a DD=E, a DDD=F, and then it goes G, H, I, and so on. Some manufacturers stop with D and go right to E and others go through DDD and then on to G. It's very confusing. I always have to calculate it out in my head to place an order! To make matters more confusing, not everyone's DD or DDD is the same. They run larger or smaller. That's why I've found it helpful to take all my measurements the way they suggest and then get on the phone. When I ordered 4 bras a few weeks back, I got them in 2 or 3 different sizes depending on how they recommended that the fit runs! Like we need this with our pregnancy adled, sleep deprived brains!!! LOL!