PDA

View Full Version : when should I be concerned about diarrhea?

etwahl
04-13-2003, 01:22 PM
she just had what seems to be a big diarrhea bowel movement. should i be concerned just yet?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

LucyG
04-13-2003, 04:00 PM
I don't know what constitutes diarrhea in a b'fed baby, since their stools are so loose anyway. But, when my dd was about a month old, she began to have two or three large bm's a day, as opposed to having them with every feeding. It made it seem like she was having diarrhea, but it was just her digestive system getting into a more regulated pattern. I would consider whether your dd is having any other symptoms of sickness. I would also note whether this bm was of a different color, texture, or odor. If only the amount is different than usual, and she seems fine otherwise, it could just be a large bm. I don't know if this helps you any! Good luck! I wish I could be of more help!

etwahl
04-13-2003, 04:11 PM
it was green, watery, and mucousy. and there was a lot. she sneezes a lot, but has since birth, and started coughing last week, which i told the ped about.

i hate worrying about a new thing with her each day!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

parkersmama
04-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Green and mucousy? That doesn't sound like regular poop to me but they say that breastfed baby poop can be quite unusual. Is she showing any other signs of having problems? The sneezing and coughing don't seem like too big a deal. I'm think more like having a tummyache? If it happens again, I'd at least give your pediatrician a call. They are totally used to new moms & dads calling them with questions. At the very least, they'll be able to tell you it's normal and make you feel better. When you call, be prepared to tell them all her symptoms, how much it has happened (quantity, color, etc) and if she has had any fever.

lukkykatt
04-13-2003, 08:21 PM
If it continues into tomorrow, I would definately give your ped a call, just to touch base. Sometimes it just is a one time thing, or a 24 hour thing, so I will keep my fingers crossed for that! If it does continue, there is a chance of dehydration, so also count the wet diapers - she should be having at least 4 to 6 at a minimum. And then like everyone else said, just note any other symptoms and the number of times that she has had diarrhea.

Shirale
04-14-2003, 10:21 AM
When Amira was tiny I remember calling my Ped frantic that she had diahhrea and he said that if it is real diahrea (in BF'd babies) then the stool in the diaper would be surround by a "halo" of wetness...a circle around the actual stool, and that is how to know if it is real. But, Tammy- you should for sure call the Dr. if you are worried that Lauren is sick...that's what they are there for! Hope she feels much better, very soon!!!!!

etwahl
04-14-2003, 01:17 PM
The ped apparently doesn't want to see her yet. He said wait to see if it gets worse and if she gets dehydrated. He said the way to tell that is that if she is pooping more than she is taking in... How do you tell that with a breastfed baby? I asked about counting the wet diapers, and they said no. I swear, I need a new pediatrician, but it's VERY hard to go to someone once you've selected one. I hate the military right now, in every sense.

And I'm still sick of course, which makes it even harder for me to deal with her.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

lukkykatt
04-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Hi Tammy,

DS had a stomach virus about a month ago, so I can tell you what my ped said about dehydration - maybe some of it will be useful for you. Like I said above, I was told to count the wet diapers - a minimum of 4 to 6 per day (both the ped and the nurse said this to me at separate times). Other signs of dehydration that I was told to look for are: if you pinch the skin on her hand and it sticks together, legs get a "noodle-like" consistency, mouth appears dry/white inside, eyes are sunken and don't produce tears while crying. Maybe some of these will help provide reassurance to you.

I don't think it is uncommon that your ped doesn't want to see your baby yet. In my case, DS had no symptoms beyond diarrhea and vomitting, and I handled everything with just a few phone calls to the Dr.

As long as your baby is nursing well, hopefully this will be over soon and you will both get some much needed rest! Definately continue to touch base with the Dr. if anything changes or there is anything that you are worried about, though.

Will be keeping fingers crossed for both of you to get well soon!