PDA

View Full Version : My nipples are killing me!!!!

barbarhow
04-13-2003, 01:34 PM
Is this something that I just live with-Jack is a vigorous sucker-and I seem to have a limited milk supply in the evenings so have started to pump more during the day to build up for the evening and am planning on getting some mothersmilk tea but oh my nipples...
My SIL said that hers were sore pretty much throughout-she nursed 4 for 12 months each. He seems to latch on okay-but the first 30-60 seconds is torture. Once he settles down it feels fine. But in between feedings they remain quite sore. No blisters, no cracking or bleeding.
Any ideas? Advice? Thanks.
Barbara-mom to Jack-3/27/03

etwahl
04-13-2003, 01:44 PM
i had the same thing for several weeks, but it doesn't hurt anymore.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

ginalc
04-13-2003, 01:59 PM
You should not hurt like that!

Check your position to make sure baby has a good latch. Also, change positions and try different holds, like football, and lying down to see if that helps.

I had chronic pain and discovered that the baby had thrush and I had thrush on my areolas. (I was slightly red and tender, but no other signs) It felt like DS has glass splinters in his mouth each time he nursed. I used Gentian Violet once daily x 3 days in his mouth and on myself/areolas. It helped almost immediately. You can get Gentian Violet in a health food store for under $10. It won't make a difference whether it has alcohol in it because you use VERY little. Take a cotton swab and dip it into the solution and swab babies whole mouth as well as your areolas. Watch out! It stains!

If these suggestions don't help, call a Lactation Consultant TOMORROW or a La Leche Leader for more tips. BFing should not be painful!!!

HTH,

gina, BF for 4 years now!, mom to 3

August Mom
04-13-2003, 02:06 PM
My nipples were very sore for the first 6 weeks or so. We had latching problems and then my nipples were cracked and bleeding. Once I finally healed and my nipples toughened up, the pain went away. I found Lansinoh lanolin to help a lot. Also, smearing breastmilk on my nipples and letting them airdry worked. HTH

cara1
04-13-2003, 02:09 PM
I agree with the others. It will get better, for sure. Make sure the latch is correct. Make sure there's no thrush. Always use lanolin (and put on a fresh layer before pumping). Air dry your nipples after nursing. It's really hard and painful in the beginning, but at 14 mos, it's hard to even remember how long ago the pain stopped.... Hang in there.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Are you sure he is latching on correctly? This happens with Logan too, but it is because she is not getting the nipple far enough into her mouth at first. After awhile, she sucks it in there farther and it stops hurting.

I started waiting until she opens her mouth very wide and shoving it in as far as I can and that is helping.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

C99
04-13-2003, 04:09 PM
If the pain goes away within 60 seconds, it's just sore nipples and should go away. If it hurts the whole time he's nursing, it could be thrush.

parkersmama
04-13-2003, 04:34 PM
Also to check for thrush, look at the inside of his mouth...if there are any white specks or spots on his tongue or inside his cheeks it is almost definitely thrush. Call your pediatrician and *be sure* that they prescribe something for the baby and for you (typically Nystatin orally for baby and cream for mom). If you aren't both treated at the same time, you will continue to pass it back and forth.

barbarhow
04-13-2003, 09:58 PM
I'll try that. It definately doesn't hurt the whole time-it's really just the first 30 seconds or so. Maybe I have to get it further into his mouth. I had checked for thrush and his mouth seems fine.

Thanks all of you for the input. I will give it a try. Am also thinking of seeing the LC tomorrow. Figure it could only help.

Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

ginalc
04-13-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm glad to hear that you're considering contacting the LC tomorrow. I have learned SOOOO MUCH these past few months by wearing the numbers off my phone and calling for help! I spoke with several different LC and learned something new each time. Don't hesitate to reach out for help - that's what they are there for! :)

I had mastitis 5 times in the first 3 months of DS's life. (He's 4 months old now) Yikes! On top of that, I had all the symptoms of thrush pain with NO signs of baby having any thrush in the mouth. The Nystatin did nothing for us either! (only Gentian Violet worked for us)

Oh - the whole reason I checked your e-mail again.........If you are pumping to build your milk supply, you may be making your tissue more sensitive, too.

Have you considered FENUGREEK SEED capusules to increase milk supply? Take 2 capsules 2-3 times daily, and watch out! It works quickly (within 24 hours) and works quite well for most moms!!! :)

HTH

gina
BFing for 4 years now!
mom to 3

kfcboston
04-14-2003, 07:05 AM
I agree that maybe you aren't getting your nipple in quite far enough?? Get that boy the open wide! :-)

I have a related nipple issue -- anyone else's nipples get really white and sensitive right after a feeding? I can tell it's milk because if I open my bra it goes away in about 20 seconds. But it's really sensitive when it happens - I have to open my bra for relief! And even if I leave the bra open for a bit after a feed it'll usually happen when I close up the bra again? Thoughts?? Thanks and good luck Barbara!

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

ginalc
04-14-2003, 07:21 AM
There is a condition in the medical world called Raynaud's Phenomenon. It is where the vessels in certain parts of the body shut off and cause a "whitening" of the tissue, and often times pain. It is most common in the fingers and toes, but can also occur elsewhere, such as in the areola, or center of the breast.

It usually happens when the tissue gets cold, or there is an extremem temperature change (like after a feeding!) such as when you are in the grocery store in the freezer section, during the winter time, getting chilled, etc. For me, it happened most when I was pregnant and I went outside into the cold. At the time, I used Medela's Vented Breast Shields and that seemed to help.

The trick is simply to keep the tissue warm and protected. I also find that taking small squares of fleece or breast pads helps to warm and protect the sensitive tissue! HTH,

gina, mom to 3

ginalc
04-14-2003, 07:31 AM
Another trick to get baby's mouth to open wider? Before baby nurses, take your thumb and gently push on the chin. This will cause baby to open the mouth nice and wide.

Also, if baby doesn't have a good latch, don't be afraid to set your finger inside to break the suction and start again from the beginning. Start several times if necessary!

gina, mom to 3

kfcboston
04-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Very interesting! I'll try that - thanks!

Katie

Rachels
04-14-2003, 09:22 AM
Katie, I was just coming here to post about Raynaud's Phenomenon,or vasospasm. That's what it sounds like to me, too. Here's a link if you want to read more about it.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/nipple-blanching.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

kfcboston
04-14-2003, 10:46 AM
What a great link! Right on the money I think, although based on what I read there I'd say blanching to due an improper latch vs. vasospasm. I don't get any blue/purple, or any pain, Sometimes it's briefly itchy. But he he be latching improperly on one side and not the other?? And I wonder if this could be related to a) this breast producing noticeably less milk than the other, b) it being his less favored breast, and c) what looks like a little milk bunched up under the surface of the very tip of the nipple?

Thanks again!

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

trumansmom
04-14-2003, 12:22 PM
And to throw yet another yeast possibility into the mix, sometimes the mother can have yeast in her breast while the child shows no symptoms of thrush! I had horrible pain during the initial latch on (primarily on my left side), it would get better while nursing, and then about 15-30 minutes later I would have shooting pains deeper in my breast. Apparently I had ignored the nipple pain too long, and the yeast had settled in my milk ducts, which is harder to treat.

I would strongly encourage you to call your docto rule out a yeast infection in your breast. Breast yeast infections are EXTREMELY painful, and can be transmitted to your child, and back again, and back again, etc.

Good luck.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

Rachels
04-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Babies can definitely prefer one breast over the other, and the latch can be different side to side. How do you know the breast is producing less milk? Are there substantial size differences? If you're guessing based on pumping, it may be a letdown issue rather than a milk-production issue, so it wouldn't be noticable to your baby. When you talk about milk bunched up under the surface, what are you seeing? If there is a little pimple-looking thing, you have a milk blister, which is related to a plugged duct. Usually they hurt, but not always. You can try taking 1200 mg of lethicin 3x / day, and that should both help it resolve and prevent others from forming.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
04-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Also, if his lips get flipped under, try applying olive oil to your areolas before your baby nurses. It will make his mouth slippery enough for you to reposition his lips without having to break suction. But I agree with everybody-- if your nipples are killing you, something is up. Can you find an LLL meeting or an LC in your area? In the short term, you can try icing them before you nurse, then go braless as much as possible or wear breast shells. You can also keep olive oil on your nipples in between nursing, which is soothing. HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

telewill
04-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Just so you know, you are not alone. My right breast goes through the same thing almost every time. I've tried warm compresses before feeding and cold after and that helps a little. I'm calling an LC today also for extra guidance.

barbarhow
04-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I called the LC yesterday. Started to cry and could barely talk to her. Once I could talk she was really helpful. I think part of the problem is that he was feeding incessantly for a few days. Probably a growth spurt. He seems to have settled down some and just like taking the car to the mechanic for that squeak-my nipples seem to be less sore. I am trying to get him to open his mouth wider-thanks all of you for the tips-

Gina-I started the Mother's Milk tea today. Should I try the fenugreek as well?

He really eats alot. Last night I fed him almost constantly for 2-3 hours (at least) He then slept for 3 hours and was up again. My dh then gave him a total of 7-8 ounces of pumped milk over the next 2 hours. It sounds like a huge amount to me. Does this sound like alot?

Thanks-Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

ginalc
04-16-2003, 07:03 AM
You probably don't need both. I prefer the convenience of the pills, as I don't always have the opportunity to enjoy my tea at the preferred temperature, warm! :)

Have you tried massaging your breast during the feeding? Just like you do to stimulate let-down with pumping, massage in small circles, from the outside in. This helps to release the richer hind-milk sooner during the nursing session, making baby feel more full for a longer period of time. Start at the beginning of your nursing session and massage periodically throughout the first 5 minutes.

Also, I find Super-Switching to be helpful. To Super-Switch, nurse for 2-5 minutes on one side, then switch to the other side. Keep switching back and forth until baby is full. The Switching helps stimulate more hindmilk and helps "remotivate" baby to drink well. It also helps build your milk supply!

I am so glad you called the LC! I know computers are great for quick answers, but it helps me to know that help is truly only a phone call away! :)

I wish you and baby Jack a successful and happy nursing relationship!
Be proud of yourself for sticking it out during the tough times, it really is worth the effort in the long run! I can tell when I hold a baby if they have been BF. They just cuddle better :)

gina, BFing for 4 years now!

mom to 3

csa12
04-16-2003, 07:36 AM
My son is almost 12 weeks old and the pain went away for me around 8 weeks. What helped as far as immediate comfort in between feedings were these gel pads called soothies (you can get them at CVS) you place them right on your nipples, after leaving them in the fridge, and they felt very soothing.

Hope your pain eases soon,
Cheryl :)

barbarhow
04-16-2003, 08:22 AM
I am so exhausted. We were up all night again. He nurses non stop. I fed him for several hours straight and then he slept maybe 2 ours and then DH gave him 7+ ounces of BM by bottle. He seems insatiable. And then last night he bit my left nipple so hard and pulled back so fast while biting it. I didn't even have a chance to react except to scream. Now my left side is even more sore now. I am planning to pump there because I can't stand the thought of him doing it again. At least until it is less sore.
I think I will go in to see the LC today. I am feeling so inadequate-I feel like I can't possibly meet his needs right now. I cried myself to "sleep" last night. And feel like I'm an endless faucet of tears this morning, too. ugh. Please tell me this will pass.
Barbara Mom to Jack 3/27/03

kfcboston
04-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Yes, I was deducing that from consistently pumping less from the left side. There's not a noticeable size difference between the two breasts. And yes, it's looks exactly like a pimple but doesn't hurt. I have my 6-week appt. on Friday so I'll show it to my OB then. But after giving the blanching more thought, I DO think it's vasoospasm. Wonder if it'll stop upon weaning.

Thanks again!

Katie

telewill
04-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Question...How long does it take from making a latching adjustment to when your nipples start to feel better? I've held off on scheduling an LC because I'm feeling a little better today. I'm wondering if some small adjustments I made last week are finally working.

Thanks!

ginalc
04-16-2003, 04:01 PM
I feel so bad for you! My eyes are filled with tears just reading your story. I hope that you were able to see the LC today. You need some comforting words and a friendly face!!!

Yes, this WILL PASS!!! I would suggest that you take some Tylenol 30 minutes before feeding. It isn't popular to suggest this, but a glass of light ale might also be helpful to relieve your pain and help you to relax. Wine coolers are OK too :)

Your hormones are probably also making you feel a little off. I always seem to get the "over-tired, can't stop crying because I've had enough already!" feeling several weeks after delivery. Ice Cream with chocolate and cherry chunks, Crunchy Chicken Sandwiches (the fast-food, not-so-healthy kind!), and Grapefruit make me feel much better. :)

Also, it helps me to cradle baby in the crook of my arm, and support baby's head with the opposite hand. I think they call this the "cross cradle" hold. This hold allows you to control baby's head much better and avoid unnecessary pulling of tender tissue.

Have you taken baby to bed with you? By this, I mean, lay down and nurse with him at your side. Cuddle your arms against his back and bottom and curl your legs up until you are comfortable. It helps me to put a pillow against my back and lean against the pillow a little. When I'm over-tired, I place an icepack on my forehead or the nape of my neck. This helps to calm me down and relax so that my milk flows more freely.

When I had mastitis on both sides, a yeast infection, EXTREME back pain, and hadn't slept for days, I started to tape Seinfeld to watch while nursing. The comedy helped me to focus on something positive besides my pain. I relaxed more and time seemed to pass more quickly.

Please call a friend just to chat! Nothing is more therapeutic than reaching out and laughing out loud! Even a small chuckle will brighten your day!!! Call a friend and ask her to bring you a smoothie and come visit the baby. People forget that Moms need a friendly face 3 weeks after baby arrives!

Something else that I find helpful? Caffeine! OK, I crave the occasional cup of gourmet coffee, and sometimes I just need a fru-fru drink to make it through the day. Treat yourself to something YOU really enjoy!!!

Though it may not feel like it right now, you are doing a terrific job at the most challenging position you will ever hold - taking care of this little bundle of joy! It is definitely worth it in the long run! :)

Please e-mail me if you want at: [email protected]
I generally check my mail several times daily.
Thinking of you and little Jack,

gina, mom to 3

ginalc
04-16-2003, 04:12 PM
A veteran nursing Mom, I say go ahead and visit the LC anyway. It is always a good idea to have your technique evaluated and improved. I nursed my first daughter for 8 months before learning I was holding her in a way that wasn't very good for her little neck!

The LC always seem to busy at the hospitals in my area, and I think that's a good sign! Each LC or La Leche League Leader I contact offers different advice and new information.

If nothing else, it's nice to get out of the house with your little one! Treat yourself to something yummy on your way home, too. :) I don't think we can learn enough!

gina, mom to 3
BFing for 4 years!

telewill
04-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Your probably right. I'm getting close to the point in my maternity leave where I will have no paycheck, and the $40-50 an hour (I'm in the north DFW area) for an LC meeting has me thinking it over. I have a list of names from the hospital; I just don't know for sure who to invest in. I'll make a few more calls. I'm sure my right breast will thank me later. :)

How long does it take, though, to see a difference once adjustments are made? Typically...if it's JUST a latching issue.

Rachels
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
I paid $150 for a highly trained LC to come to my house, and we went from barely able to nurse to good long feeding within 15 minutes. Eleven months of great nursing later,I can tell you without hesitation that it was some of the best money I've ever spent.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
04-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Just another thought, check to see if your hospital offers a nursing mom's support group. Mine had one that met every Thursday morning. There were usually 5 or so moms there and the meeting was hosted by one of the hospital LCs. I went a few times for various reasons and found them very helpful. Women were there with nursing babes of all ages who just "popped in" to ask a nursing question. It may be a way to get a virtually "free" check in with an LC. My hospital did charge a nominal fee for the meeting ($5 per session).

HTH,

ginalc
04-17-2003, 07:57 AM
In my experience, tissue needs anywhere from 3 to 14 days to fully heal. If it's a latching issue with no break in the skin or bleeding, you should feel better closer to the 3 to 5 day mark.

These sound WONDERFUL! Check this out:'

http://www.fitmaternity.com/pss001.html

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

ATJ71
04-17-2003, 09:24 PM
My LC told me an old wives tale: take tea bags and place them on your nipples........it sounds crazy, but i swear to god it worked better than the lanolin ointment! make 2 cups of tea, let tea bags cool and place them directly on your nipples, cover with breast pad (i am assuming you are wearing a bra) do this when ever you can. I would sleep in them even when my son would only go 2-3 hours between feedings. I am not sure exactly what occurs but when you wake your nipples feel much better. GOOD LUCK!

:)ALI

barbarhow
04-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Sooooooo much better today. Thank you so much for your support. I can't tell you how much it helps. talked to a good friend last pm, had a half a glass of wine, put my feet up and tried to let it all go. He slept much better last night. And we had a good day today. My MIL came over and watched him while I ran out to do some errands. While I felt guilty leaving him, it felt great to get out.
I think he was growth spurting. We'll see, I guess. I've been drinking the mothers milk tea. Any idea how long it takes to work? I am not hugely impressed by my output when pumping.
I did talk to the LC today. She spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me-basically echoing everything you've said. I'll take all the support I can get right now. I will email you tomorrow sometime. Thanks.

barbarhow
04-17-2003, 09:32 PM
Its probably the tannic acid-also good on sunburns. I will try it. I tried to get soothies today but the 3 pharmacies I tried were out. Must be an epidemic on nipple pain.....

telewill
04-18-2003, 01:27 AM
I met with an LC today...yes, it was money well spent. It may not be one thing that's causing my problems; it maybe a few different things. One thing to consider if you have pain or itching is an allergy to lanolin. That may be one of my issues as I am allergic to wool. I was slathering on PurLan, which may have been making my problem worse. The LC said just to rub my nipples with breast milk and let them air dry.

It was also good to have my daughter's mouth analyzed. The LC made a few suggestions based on daughter's palette.

The LC showed me a side lying position that seemed to work! Yeah!!

Hopefully, the new adjustment will make the difference. It was also reassuring to have my daughter's weight checked. She is doing great!

Thanks for the suggestions...and for this post!

barbarhow
04-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Oh Joy! Jack slept last night. I slept last night. What a wonderful feeling to get 4 1/2 hours of sleep. Everything seems better-for now. Will love the moment as I know it could change again at anytime. Thanks for all the support.

liya
04-19-2003, 07:04 PM
you shouldnt be hurting like that even though i had cracked nipples and they were like totally bleeding it didnt hurt when he latched on ...Check yuour latch on position mek sure that hes opening himouth right and his toungue is in the bottom..The bottom lip is also a huge concern when your nipples are hurting that way so check it well. Try to rub some lasinosh on them it seemed to relieve me and also warm baths..hope it helps goo luck :)