PDA

View Full Version : decreased supply in one breast--ever happen to you?

peanut4us
04-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Weirdest thing, I have been pumping and taking fenugreek to boost my milk supply. In the last several days, I have cut back on pumping a bit and reduced my dose to fenugreek to once a day, and it seems that my right breast has significantly decreased in supply. I notice especially when I pump. Like yesterday morning, I got 2 ounces left, and only .5 ounce right. Anyone have any experience with somehting like this?

I wondered if maybe I had a yeast infection because the right breast had a burning in it during and after feeding, but that burning doesn't seem to be as intense today.

THanks,

Joey
mother of Sara Anne 3/27/03

ginalc
04-14-2003, 03:47 PM
I can pump all day and get nothing. Put baby to the breast and I'm exploding with milk!

My trick for pumping is to put baby in the football hold on one side and pump at the same time on the other breast. When I do this I get the most milk, sometimes so much so that I fill 2 4-oz. bottles!

This technique is also helpful to use for 24 hours to build milk supply and/or empty the breast completely to avoid plugged ducts/mastitis.

Hopefully, since the burning is less intense today, it wasn't yeast and you are OK. If not, contact your hospital's Lactation Consultant for more ideas. Also, I have called La Leche League Leaders for help with some questions. Each time I call, I learn something new! They have been most helpful for me! :)

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

calmar
04-14-2003, 04:10 PM
I've had the same issue with my right breast. It seems significantly larger and fuller than my left. I've made an effort to always start on my left so that I can increase the supply.