PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Sterilizers

junior503
04-15-2003, 02:20 PM
I received the Avent Bottle Sterilizer as a shower gift and was wondering if it is of any use. Would it be better just to return it to Target and get something that might be a little more essential?

Thanks!

Lisa
edd 5/3/03

C99
04-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Well, it depends on your baby. I would wait until s/he is here for a few months before making your decision, if you can. I originally thought a bottle sterilizer was useless, but then Nate got a case of thrush and we had to sterlize everything that went into his mouth. The Avent sterilizer saves a TON of time; there's no way we could have done the big-pot-on-the-stove sterilizer thing every day to sterilize all his pacifiers, the breast pump horns, bottles, etc. If you only need to sterilize every week or two, the old-fashioned way is fine, but you have no idea what you'll need to sterilize and when until your kid is here.

nigele
04-15-2003, 04:22 PM
If you are bottle feeding, you should definitely keep it! I nurse my baby but have used it many, many times for various things.

Marisa6826
04-15-2003, 06:00 PM
If you're talking about the microwave one, it's worth its weight in gold.

Our pediatrician said that it wasn't exactly necessary to sterilize Sophie's bottles and pacifiers, but we just felt so much better about doing it. Just call us pathetic new paranoid parents, I guess...

I would definitely hang onto it.

-m

egoldber
04-15-2003, 07:45 PM
The answer is do YOU want it? My ped told me I didn't have to sterilize anything, so I never did. Other people are more comfortable sterilizing. If you want to sterilize, the Avent microwave one is supposed to be very good.

HTH,

sarsah
04-18-2003, 09:44 PM
You really don't need to steralize anything, but I did use the Avent sterilizer and liked it a lot.
My dishwasher has a 'sani-heat' setting, so mostly I just ran the bottles through the dishwasher, but if it wasn't full and I didn't want to waste a load just on bottles, I used the steralizier. That way I didn't have to do a lot of hand washing and didn't have to run the dishwasher all the time.

Sarah....