PDA

View Full Version : Do you pump when baby only takes one side?

LucyG
04-16-2003, 09:13 AM
My dd (8 weeks old) sometimes only nurses on one side. I used to really try to wake her up and get her to take both, but I've decided that she will let me know when she needs to do that. She's gaining weight well and seems satisfied. So, my question is whether or not I should pump the side that she does not take. I'm usually not too uncomfortable, and I start with that breast at the next feeding. I guess I'm wondering whether my milk supply will decrease if I don't pump the "unused" side. I know it's all supply and demand with nursing, but I'm unsure of what to do on this one. Any tips?

COElizabeth
04-16-2003, 09:24 AM
If you are trying to save up milk, it's certainly a good time to pump, but you probably don't need to pump the other side just to maintain your supply. James fed from one side only for months and still does most of the time. When he does eat from both sides he seems satisfied even though the breasts are pretty used to alternating feedings! I pump only if I am uncomfortable (like if he sleeps through the night) or if I need the milk. It sounds like things are going great, so I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

stillplayswithbarbies
04-16-2003, 11:30 AM
You don't need to pump the other side. In fact doing so will make more milk next time and be even more uncomfortable.

Baby should eat from one side. That way they are getting the foremilk and the hindmilk. If they switch sides in the same feeding, they will only get foremilk and no hindmilk. (unless they eat long enough on the first side to get to the hindmilk before they switch)

My daughter eats from one side at each feeding and I alternate breasts each feeding.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03