PDA

View Full Version : I am planning on getting the Medela PNS - are Avent or Dr. Brown's bottles compatible??

1st timeparents
04-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Just took our BF class last night - very informative & great for building confidence.

Looking to purchase the Medela PNS - had been planning to use Dr. Brown bottles. However last night they recommended Avent bottles because of the different nipples. Can anyone tell me if either one are compatible with the PNS.

Also love to hear thoughts on the 2 different bottles.

Thanks,
Karen

1st timeparents

ginalc
04-16-2003, 02:09 PM
I wish someone would explain the "Avent bottle recommendation" to my children! They never liked Avent s and refused to use them. I attempted to use the Avent Sippy cup system just to get some use out of the bottle/containers, and found that they leaked ALL THE TIME!

If you are planning on using the Pump In Style, I would recommend trying generic s that will fit those bottles first. They will most likely do just fine, without having to invest in several different kinds of bottles right up front. See what works well for you and your baby.

My experience is that baby will use what they are offered. (Except the Avent in our case!) The trick is to introduce the bottle at 3 weeks of age, and continue to offer one each day, every day. My babies refuse the bottle, regardless of the brand, when a bottle hasn't been offered frequently.

gina, mom to 3
BFing for 4 years!

Momof3Labs
04-16-2003, 02:26 PM
I have a PIS and use Avent bottles, and I pump into the Medela bottles and transfer to the Avent bottles. So compatibility isn't an issue. But there are adaptors that allow you to pump directly into Avent bottles (made by Avent); not sure if they would work with Dr. Brown's.

Are you planning to exclusively pump and bottle feed? If so, Dr. Brown's are a great choice (so are Avent bottles). If you only plan on the occasional bottle, I would skip Avent and Dr. Brown's to start and use something MUCH cheaper. Why offer your baby the Lexus the first time around when the Ford is perfectly adequate? If your baby won't take a cheaper bottle, then consider moving to the Avent or Dr. Brown's. JMO!

C99
04-16-2003, 07:12 PM
I do the same thing as Lori and it's fine. Yes, it's 1 more bottle to wash, but it's really not a big deal in the general scheme of things.

liya
04-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Ditto i agree find the cheapest version and go with it...i found this out the hard way ask me about a bottle i have it....Turns out he was better of with the playtex bottles ...if you planning to express your milk and store it the plytex bottles work really well and they are cheap my DS uses the natural silicone nipple and loves out and its really simple since i just take a bag of EBM and placeit in the bottle and presto....:)

Mommy of Arian Alexander 2/13/03

liya
04-19-2003, 07:18 PM
apologizing for my spelling its a little affected because of the simple fact my son is sleeping on the boppy pillow in my lap at this moment makes it a little hard to type :) jejeje

Mommy of Arian Alexander 2/13/03