PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to use Avent Microwave Steam Sterilizer on Medela PIS parts?

paula0403
04-16-2003, 02:04 PM
I noticed that it said, in the Medela PIS instructions, not to microwave steam sterilize the parts because it could cause damage to the parts. Has anyone reading this gone ahead and done it, though? Any problems? What all parts do you have to sterilize with a brand new PIS, and then after using it? Thanks!

ginalc
04-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi!

I phoned the Lactation Consultant at my local hospital and here is what she shared with me:

1. Only sterilize the parts that actually come in contact with your milk.

2. NEVER sterilize or boil the tubing. It causes changes in the tubing and often times causes the connector to break off. The tubing doesn't come in contact with the milk and doesn't require any care - unless you overflow the container and then, just rinse with warm water and lay on a towel to dry. If you cannot get water out of your tubing after rinsing, come down to the hospital and they can use oxygen to clear the tubing.

3. If you keep the bottle/pumping parts clean with hot soap and water, you don't need to sterilize them, unless your Dr. tells you otherwise. Most people won't need to sterilize bottles for everyday use. (Pumping for preemies may require different care.)

HTH!

gina, mom to 3
BFing for 4 years

Momof3Labs
04-16-2003, 02:23 PM
I did, the first time I used the pump. Since then I have handwashed them. No damage was done, as far as I can tell!

The instructions should tell you which parts to sterilize the first time around - I believe this includes the tubing, shields and all the little plastic parts that go with the shields. There is a whole section in the instructions labeled "before you use your pump".

C99
04-16-2003, 07:10 PM
I've been microwave sterilizing the Medela horns for about 2 weeks, and have done it the old-fashioned way several times before. I haven't had any problems with them and I didn't know that you shouldn't sterilze them even. I had a breast yeast infection and since I pump 1 breast at a time, I don't want to contaminate the other one.

corky
04-17-2003, 08:00 AM
I have both the microwave and electric sterilizer. I've sterilized my pump parts in them for the last 6.5 months without any problems. I know I don't have to sterilize but it is just so easy to stick them in the electric sterilizer. We just don't use our dishwasher enough for me to use it as my primary means of sterilizing. I mostly use the microwave sterilizer when we travel.

hth

corky

paula0403
04-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Thank all of you for your input re: the sterilizer!

liya
04-19-2003, 06:55 PM
i used it and as a result the tubes got a little can we say "melted"...jeje i didnt read the instructions befoe ( consecuences of being lazy :) ) and used the convinience of the microwave and what did i get melted tube...they still work though thank go!!!my husband wouldve killed me it was the first time i used the machine......so my advice do as the instruction book says although i do only sterilize the parts that directly come in contact with my milk...Good Luck