PDA

View Full Version : BFing Moms -- Bra to Bed?

kfcboston
04-20-2003, 08:17 AM
Hello! I'm wondering how many of you out there where some kind of bra to bed, and if so why? Support? Leaking? I've been skipping the bra so my nipples could get some air exposure at some point during a 24-hour period. They're not too bruised or battered; I just thought it'd be a good idea. I sometimes leak a little but sleep on a waterproof pad over the sheet so that's not too much of a problem. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

egoldber
04-20-2003, 08:57 AM
I stopped using a bra at night almost immediately. I HATED sleeping in a bra and would rather leak than do so. But I found I really didn't leak so badly at night. Do what works for you!

HTH,

nigele
04-20-2003, 09:55 AM
I agree with Beth. And I think I actually got a plugged duct one time from the bra rubbing on my engorged boob. I would rather have leaked than have this happen again.

parkersmama
04-20-2003, 03:27 PM
I slept in a bra (a Bravado but I've got a new "sleep bra" for this time around) mainly to hold the nursing pads in place. Once the major leaking stopped, I quit wearing it. It's not really comfortable but worked for me. I definitely think that if you're not finding you need one, you shouldn't bother!

brubeck
04-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Since my son started sleeping through the night I leak every night without fail. I leak more on my right side since I sleep on my right, hence that breast gets more squished!

I just wear a loose, non-underwire nursing bra with Curity pads in it.

FYI, if you want your nipples to get air, you can wear breast shells. These go over your nipple but under the pad. They helped me out a lot in the beginning when I had sore nipples. I used the Medela Hobbit Breast Shells. You'll look like Madonna in her pointy bra, but who cares when you're sleeping?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-20-2003, 05:07 PM
I don't wear a bra to bed. I hardly wear a bra during the day, unless I go out.

At night when she nurses, I leak from the other side, so I just tuck a burp cloth under it.

During the day, I use the Lansinoh breast pads with the sticky strip and I just stick it inside a tight fitting tank top. It stays in place good enough for at home.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

lukkykatt
04-20-2003, 07:40 PM
I do use a nice and comfy sleep bra at night. With my first son I wore one due to leaking. I guess this time around I wear it more for support - sometimes when I get up in the morning it can be hours before I can get a shower and dressed.

If you have to ask about it though, maybe you don't really need one?

lisams
04-20-2003, 08:05 PM
I wear a very light bra to sleep to help with the leaking. I would love not to, but I got sick of waking up with a wet shirt. I would say do what works for you- you don't need to wear one to sleep.

Lisa

kfcboston
04-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and experiences everyone! Nice to see the range of opinion as always. Just curious.......

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

spu
04-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I stopped wearing a bra to bed almost immediately for all the same reasons listed above. In the beginning when I was leaking alot, I used the breastpads with adhesive on the back (gerber I think) and stuck those to my tshirt. It helped alot, but then I just got tired of having to keep everything in place so I put a towel on the bed. Eventually the leaking stopped.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else